“Nobody Loved Football More Than Tony”

The next chapter of the 2004 book Real Footballers' Wives, features Marina Kay, wife of 1960s legend, Tony.

Real Footballers' Wives – Marina Kay

Sheffield was one of Hitler’s main targets during the war because of its steel industry and I can still remember the sky being completely lit up by the air raids during the blitz. My dad was called up in 1940 when I was four, and my brother Geoff was only a two-year old toddler.

Our street in Southy Green eventually got hit so we had to go and stay with my grandparents at the Sheffield United side of town. Mum’s role in the war effort was to work as a tram conductor so Geoff and I went everywhere together and would play in the streets with our friends until it went dark. I never left the house without him, he was great company; he was thoughtful and more reserved than me and our childhood was full of laughter.

I loved my nan and grandad to bits; he was an old rascal and worked as a bookie’s runner. Bookmaking was illegal then and I remember him standing me on the street corner and telling me to keep an eye out while he took bets. When my mum found out she wasn’t too pleased.

I was eight years old when a man wearing an army uniform knocked at the door. I went and told my mum there was a soldier outside looking for her. She came out of the kitchen and as soon as I saw her face, I realised it was my dad. Straight away I could see why she’d fallen in love with him. He was so handsome; he had black hair, big blue eyes and the most beautiful smile.

Article continues below video content

Our bombed-out house was rebuilt when the war ended and the four of us went back to live there, and that was where I stayed until I got married. If I’d stayed with my grandparents, I probably wouldn’t have met Tony because he was from the Sheffield Wednesday side of town.

I adored my dad and we grew very close but he’d contracted tuberculosis in the Far East and became ill almost as soon as he got home. He was in and out of hospital most of the time so we never went anywhere with him because he was too sick, but I would sit with him for hours and hours talking and getting to know him. Sometimes he could hardly breathe and would just sit in his chair and then he’d be back in hospital again. I didn’t have him for long, the one time he went in he caught pneumonia and he was too weak to fight it. He was 32 when I lost him and I’d only known him for six years.

Tony lived at the bottom of the hill in Southy Green and I lived at the top. We went to Shirecliffe to play their school at netball once and he stopped to watch the game but he was with his pals and they were all jeering and wolf-whistling and trying to put us off. He had the reddest hair I’d ever seen.

My best friend, Marge, was in the Woodcraft Folk and she knew Tony from there. Woodcraft was a bit like Boy Scouts but without the discipline, they would go tracking animals, studying nature and learning about the countryside. Tony loves that sort of thing and he loves to be out in the fresh air. Marge introduced us when I was 15; I’d finished school by then and was at commercial college learning shorthand and typing. Tony was a plasterer working on a slum-clearance housing project they were building called the Manor Estate. He’d been an electrician before that but he got the push for acting daft. I liked him and he made me laugh.

We started courting and would go out with a crowd of friends from school to the dance at the City Hall or to Glossop Road baths. On a Saturday night, they would cover the swimming pool with boards and it became a dance floor; it was a bit springy but it did the trick. Everyone was jiving and rock ’n’ rolling to Bill Haley and I loved it. Tony didn’t like rock ‘n’ roll much so I’d dance with somebody else and save the waltzes, foxtrots and quicksteps for him. The Big Band sound was his kind of music and he would whirl me around the bouncy dance floor.

I didn’t know anything about football and I still don’t, really. Tony was quite happy with that; his dad was the one who followed Sheffield Wednesday. My mum remarried a few years after my dad died; Peter was an upholsterer and joiner by trade and he wasn’t into football either; he liked motorcars and motorbikes. I didn’t get on with him at first and I resented him but as the years went by we got on a bit better.

Tony signed full-time as a professional for Sheffield Wednesday when he was 17 but he only started to play regularly in the first team about four years later. He didn’t have a car until after we married so in our free time we’d get the bus to Nottingham or Derbyshire and go and have a look around. We tried to get out of town if we could and would wander off into the countryside, just two of us.

Tony as captain of Sheffield Wednesday

He had a suit and I had a dress made in matching fabric, it was dark blue check and we thought we were the bees-knees. We had a fantastic time in our teens but we used to argue. His parents and mine were friends and they used to go to the same social club, so they’d know when we’d fallen out and would engineer ways we could bump into each other. Eventually he’d come round to our house and my mum would shout ‘Stanley Matthews is here’, and we’d get back together again.

There were no restaurants or places for teenagers to go to in Sheffield and everything used to close at 10 O’ clock, so now and again a group of us would book a coach to take us over to Manchester or Nottingham for a night out or else we’d shoot over to Derbyshire, which was only 15 minutes away and everything stayed open 'til 11.

Marge met Jim, her future husband, when she was 17 and they’re still together and happy to this day. Once she got married she didn’t really come out with the group any more. We had some other friends called John and Nina Wragg; she was a very excitable Italian and started to teach me to drive in her Triumph Herald. I enjoyed it and got right up to taking my test, but when we moved to Liverpool, the traffic was a lot heavier and faster so I never carried it on.

Geoff went to do his national service in the army and was posted to Aden in southern Yemen. Tony went into the RAF because he was promised a local posting so he could continue to play football at the weekends. Initially he did his square-bashing at Padgate in Warrington and was supposed to be there for six weeks, but he broke a bone in his foot playing for Sheffield Wednesday reserves and was sent to the casualty wing with his leg in plaster. He decided he’d recover more quickly in the comfort of his own home, so he picked up his wages, altered his sick note from three days to eight and headed back to Sheffield. Unfortunately, Wednesday sent a telegram requesting the RAF release him for a game and that was when they realised he wasn’t there. When he got back they put him in the jail for three weeks for going AWOL.

He was more mischievous than bad and he never got into serious trouble; he just got bored really easily. Another time they charged him with ‘dumb insolence’ and made him peel a mountain of spuds as his punishment for giving the drill instructor one of his withering looks.

Life went on and while he was in the RAF, I was working as a secretary at an advertising agency and still going out dancing at the weekends with my friends. We would write to each other two or three times a week and he would send me pictures of my heartthrobs, Burt Lancaster and Rory Calhoun, which he’d cut out of magazines to keep me going 'til he got home at the weekends. We had gold bracelets made, mine said ‘Tony and Marina’ and his said ‘Marina and Tony’, and I wore mine all the time. I missed him madly while he was away, but I didn’t tell him.

Tony and Marina Kay's wedding

We got engaged on my 21st birthday and the only advice I got was from the local landlord, Ted Catlin who was also the Sheffield Wednesday scout and he told us we weren’t allowed to sleep together the night before a game. Tony is 10 months younger than me so he had to get permission from his parents, but we married in St Cecilia’s church at Parsons Cross in Sheffield on 28 September 1957. He had a match in the afternoon so we had to have our wedding at 10.30 in the morning. The following day he went to Doncaster with Peter Swan - I suppose that was my honeymoon.

We moved in with Tony’s parents, Jenny and Mac. Tony was always away and I was pregnant so it was just perfect and it meant that I wasn’t on my own. I couldn’t have wished for better in-laws; Jenny was a great ally and we got along famously, she was the only person who called him Anthony and he was the apple of her eye. Mac was wonderful too, warm, clever, funny and gifted with a beautiful voice; he was always bursting into song. Him and Tony would have contests and try to out-sing each other.

Nobody was more dedicated to football than Tony. We always say that when he pops his clogs, we’ll put his ashes in a leather case-ball and kick him about. His first love was actually rugby but he wasn’t tall enough, he was great at cricket too; in fact he was selected for trials for Yorkshire and I’ve washed enough of those whites to last me a lifetime. He was as fit as a fiddle; he used to race the bus up the hill while he was holding his breath and he trained hard all the time. Somebody told him to mix sherry with a raw egg and it was supposed to give you a big boost of energy. It sounds ridiculous but he swore by it and drank it before a game. He said they gave it to greyhounds and it worked well enough for them.

Ricky was born in March 1958, two weeks overdue. Jenny was cooking the tea when I got the first twinges; she went to phone an ambulance but I refused to go until I’d eaten. It was just as well because I had a long night ahead of me and ended up having a caesarean. The only thing I can really remember is the ambulance with bells ringing and flashing lights, but he was born beautiful and perfectly healthy.

Albert Quixall was a Wednesday player and the first footballer to take ballet lessons. His wife had a dancing school and he used to do the publicity shots with her. He was transferred to Manchester United when they tried to rebuild the team after the Munich air disaster, so after Ricky was born we moved into his old club house.

Tony went into business with Peter, my stepdad, and they called themselves Burniston and Kay Property Developers. One time he’d been up a ladder fixing a sign and Eric Taylor, the Wednesday manager, had driven past and seen him. He’d already told him off about having a kick about in the park with the local lads but to see him dangling off a ladder was too much. He reminded him that he was a valuable player and wasn’t insured to do any dangerous jobs, so he had to take a back seat in the business. Peter took over the day-to-day running of it and Tony would lend a hand when he could. The business did quite well and he carried it on when we moved to Liverpool.

We had to move to a bigger house when I fell pregnant again, so we bought Jimmy McAnearney’s place. Russell was born in April 1960 and before I had time to turn round my little girl, Toni was born in July 1961. Tony came to the hospital with a suitcase full of little dresses demanding to see his daughter. All the boys were born bald but she had a real thatch of red hair, it was like a comedy wig, some two-year-olds don’t have as much hair as Toni did.

She could be a bit volatile at times; we used to say that when that midwife smacked her, she didn’t shut up for 13 years. They say women are supposed to bloom in pregnancy but I looked bloody awful. I felt fine but I was really pasty faced and people were always asking me if I was ill. That bloom just wasn’t there and my hair was terrible, but my kids were all beautiful.

Marina and Tony Kay in 1962

Marina and Tony Kay in 1962

I never thought we would leave Sheffield, in fact it was only days before that I’d been talking to some of the Wednesday wives, I said we would be there for life. A week later Tony was transferred to Everton and had to go straight away. Yet again I was pregnant and I decided not to move until after the baby was born, but I knew I would be going eventually. I wasn’t scared of going because I knew Tony would be there, but I was scared of leaving my friends and family. I’d never been away from Sheffield apart from on holiday, so it was quite daunting. Jenny was the most brilliant mother-in-law you could hope for. She was a big help with the children and we were great friends who had many a good laugh. I knew how badly I was going to miss her.

When Everton won the League in 1963 the players and their wives were invited to Torremolinos but I was heavily pregnant, so I couldn’t travel. The club gave me a beautiful cocktail watch instead; I still have it and it’s engraved on the back with 1962-63 Champions’.

Jamie was born in May 1963, the day before Tony made his England debut in Switzerland. He scored a goal from the halfway line that day; I saw it on the television and almost burst with pride. I got a dozen red roses from Frank Clough, a journalist on the Daily Mirror; I was 26 and had four kids all under five. My dancing days were over and I felt like I’d been washing nappies forever.

Before I went over to Liverpool, and to make up for missing Torremolinos, Tony said I could go away on holiday and that Jenny and my mum would look after the kids between them. I went to Majorca with my sister in law, Joyce, and we had a fabulous time.

Joyce is five years older than Tony and she absolutely idolised him. She had the same red hair and a fantastic sense of humour and worked in the Batchelors food factory. Some days she’d bring home Victoria plums the size of coconuts. Her uniform was a green overall and a white turban, she looked quite exotic and one year she won the Miss Batchelors beauty pageant. As Tony and I started courting, she married Dennis and moved round the corner and called her first daughter Denise Marina, after me. We’re still very close to this day and she’s still great company.

I needed to get somebody to help me with the kids because Jenny wasn’t there anymore, so we got a woman in and I decided I would go back to work part-time as a shorthand typist at a local agency, just for a week out of every month. I loved it, it kept my hand in and got me out of the house and into adult company for a few hours, but then the papers got hold of it and printed a headline ‘£100-a-week wife wants a job’. I only worked two or three hours at a stretch but they thought it was outrageous because Tony was the record signing in the country and was earning £60 a game. The big money caused a huge sensation at the time, but they seemed to have forgotten the players had been on strike a couple of years earlier when they were only earning 30 bob a week for entertaining tens of thousands of people.

Everton’s chairman, John Moores sent a chauffeur-driven car to take us to Liverpool when Jamie was about four months old. The first house they showed us was in Aintree and it was lovely, but it wasn’t big enough for the six of us so they offered us another in Kendal Drive, Maghull and that was perfect because it had an extension over the garage. Part could be used as a playroom and part as a bedroom, and that was where we settled.

I met some great people in Maghull and I loved living there. The club was good to us, too; they would send us groceries every week and it was nice to be remembered. When you move to another city you have to start all over again. I got to know my neighbours, who were very kind to us, but it was so lonely when the kids had gone to bed and the house was really empty and quiet.

Jenny used to come to Liverpool a lot; she’d phone from the bus station and say she was on her way or she’d ring my mum and the two of them would come over in her car and stay for a few days. We were great friends and it made it much easier to cope with things.

Tony and I still argued from time to time and one night I threw all his clothes out of the window. When I woke up there was a white rabbit in the bathroom which he’d found in somebody’s garden on his way home from a nightclub. He often used to bring it home with him after that.

My closest friends were Norma Vernon and Gordon Brown’s wife Brenda. Gordon was what they called a spiv; a wheeler and dealer and a mad Evertonian and he took a real shine to Tony. The Browns helped us a lot; they were older than us and took us under their wing. Gordon died a few years ago, I couldn’t get to the funeral but Tony did and I sent a wreath from us all.

Most of the players lived in Maghull and a bunch of us used to meet up every now and again. Jeannie Parker, Alec’s wife, Pat Gabriel, Norma Vernon and Rowdy Ron Yeats’ wife, Margaret but we all had young children so we didn’t get together that often.

It was quite a lonely life because the men were always away. Christmas was the worst because there were lots of games, they still had to train every day and they couldn’t eat too much or drink. In the summer you wanted to go away with your kids but the men would be on tour or at a training camp somewhere, so holiday time was always a bit lonely, too. If we could find a baby-sitter, I’d go out to special occasions but I didn’t go to the match unless it was a big game, because he didn’t really like me to watch him play.

The thing that wound me up about being a footballer’s wife was if I went out for an evening with Tony - and those evenings were so few and far between - and people would come and pester. It got right on my nerves. If they just came over and to say hello or asked for an autograph then that was fine, but they would pull up a chair and want to discuss the match in detail, and I knew that would be it for the rest of the night. Then there would be the women coming over and trying to edge me out of the conversation. I’ve known girls come and stand right in front of me with their back to my face. It’s annoying and you can’t really do anything, although I lost my temper on a couple of occasions. Once I remember was after a party and we were getting in the car to go home. This woman came up screaming at me for some reason or another and stuck her hand through the window and tried pull my hair - so I wound the window up and trapped her in it.

The night before the story broke we were in the Royal Tiger in Liverpool. Gordon Brown had got the nod from somebody at the Sunday People that they would be running the story the next day and it was as if the bottom had fallen out of the world. We were trying to avoid the reporters, but they were everywhere so we darted off in the car but there was a crossed wire somewhere in the dashboard and every time we turned a corner, the horn blew. We were trying to get away but telling them where to look at the same time. We didn’t stand a chance.

As if it wasn’t bad enough, the story was reported wrongly. The headline was ‘Football’s Shame’ and it said Tony had thrown a match against Ipswich, when in fact, he’d been voted man of the match that day. His crime was to bet against his team, which was more stupid than sinister but it had happened so long ago, he’d forgotten about it by then. Literally overnight my life changed and became a waking nightmare, it was terrible and it kept getting worse. One minute I had people to talk to and the next they were avoiding me. I don’t think it was because they all necessarily believed what they were hearing; more that they were embarrassed and just didn’t know what to say. I’ve had a few arguments about it over the years, I can tell you that much.

Jimmy Tarbuck rang and invited me and the kids to go and watch him in pantomime with Frankie Vaughan. They sent a car for us and off we went. The kids were thrilled to bits and they went backstage afterwards and met the cast. I was so grateful.

I never thought Tony would go to prison, but I think he knew. The trial was at the Nottingham Assizes and on the last day, I was at home with the kids. I asked if he was taking the car and he said he would leave it behind. I knew then that he wasn’t coming back

It was an open prison called Thorp Arch in Weatherby near Leeds. Gordon Brown used to drive me there to visit. Peter Swan and Bronco Layne were in there too. There was a photo in the Liverpool Echo of me standing at the gates with Tony’s football boots. Les Edwards was the reporter who wrote about the case the most. I’ve never seen that picture since; they were supposed to send me a copy but with the move back to Sheffield and everything, I never got to see it.

The prison governor was very kind; he rang me a few times to say Tony was depressed and sad, and he let me talk to him. His job was to make camouflage nets for the armed forces, but the nylon made his eyes really sore and he was put on gardening duties instead. I think he quite liked it because he was outside in the fresh air. One time I visited and they didn’t know where he was, but they found him eventually in the middle of a field. He wasn’t trying to escape or anything, he was just meandering.

He didn’t look well, so I decided to cook him a steak and take it with me next time. I wanted to keep it warm so I rolled it up and put it in a thermos flask but when I got there we couldn’t get it out again. We didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Everton were all right with me. They said we could buy the house, which we started to do, and then they backed off and kept their distance. They weren’t nasty or anything like that, but they stopped sending the weekly groceries.

Tony, Peter and Bronco were sentenced for four months and when they were due for release there were dozens and dozens of reporters hanging around outside the gates and right around the prison walls. The governor had been in the Army so he came up with a tactical escape plan. He decided they would be let out in the middle of the night and they were smuggled out over some sports fields at the back of the prison and bundled into cars. Peter Swan and Bronco Layne went off towards Sheffield and we never saw them again and we sped away to Liverpool with Gordon at the wheel. We cuddled each other all the way home; I couldn’t let go of him.

He’d started a waste-paper business before he got sent to prison and I kept that on until he came back. I didn’t drive so I hired a man and I gave him a percentage of whatever he brought in, he didn’t get a wage. Tony took it over again when he came out, but the football wasn’t there and he couldn’t handle it. He still went training every day but the trouble was that the day the ban came he went on to ‘self destruct’, he pushed the button and he wouldn’t let go. He couldn’t handle the concept of living without football, it was more than he could bear and he started drinking a lot. He just couldn’t cope with the void in his life. Nobody loved football more than Tony and I honestly believe that.

Jenny was diagnosed with cancer and I went back to Sheffield to see what was going on and she died while I was there, I had to tell Tony and I didn’t know what to say because he loved his mum more than anyone else in the world.

He’d been to see her with the rest of his family the night before when she’d come out of the operating theatre. She said she was feeling fine so they all went their separate ways home. For some reason, Tony went back alone and asked if she was really feeling OK. She told him everything was fine and there was no more pain and died shortly after he left. She was 52 when we buried her and she’d died in the hospital she’d been working at for years.

Mac went to pieces. He’d been a bit of a lad in his day and had won a bare-knuckle boxing match to win the money to buy her wedding ring. He loved her to bits and his heart was broken. He recovered eventually and years later he remarried, but it was never the same. His new wife was OK. She looked after him and they had each other for company but her and Tony didn’t see eye to eye and it was a mutual dislike. As soon as Mac died she went off to live with her family in America.

Tony Kay with his children

Tony pictured with his children

Tony left England for Spain in 1967. I was still living in Maghull and I put my secretarial skills to use and went to work for an agency but I had to try and fit it in around school hours. I tried to keep the house on. They turned the gas off, they turned the electricity off but it was when they started digging up the drive to cut off the water I realised I would have to surrender. I left Maghull in 1969 and went back to Sheffield; Geoff drove over and picked us up. We always joked that we went there by chauffeur-driven car and came back in rent-a-van with four kids, two goldfish in a bowl on my knee, a pregnant cat, no job and no home but as they say in Yorkshire “Ne’er mind eh? Summat’ll turn up”

My Mum had settled in the same area as my grandmother, the Sheffield United side of town so that was where we went, too. I got a bit of flak, but nothing I couldn’t cope with. There was a bit of name-calling and people talking in stage whispers and one fella used to stand at the back of me singing made-up songs - one day I’d had enough, so I rounded on him and gave him a crack.

Geoff moved over to Spain in 1985. He bought a steak bar in Nerja near Malaga and soon settled into the way of life. He sold it a few years later and invested in a beach bar. It suited him down to the ground. He became known as Geoff the Beach and that was where he stayed until he became ill in 1996. He had tests but nobody seemed to know what was wrong so I told him to come home and we’d get him checked out properly. He was diagnosed with cancer and died in Sheffield in 1997; it was the most awful shock.

The only time I really resented Tony was when Russell came home one day sobbing. I asked what was wrong and he told me his friend had gone to town with his dad but he couldn’t go because he didn’t have a dad. It was times like that I hated him. I took all the kids over to Spain to see him a couple of times but my middle two are so fair skinned and they just couldn’t handle the heat. We could never have settled there.

None of my sons play football; they played at school but not to any great standards. Imagine having Tony Kay as your dad – he was a hard act to follow. Ashley, one of my grandsons, is a really good footballer but I don’t think he’s interested in following it as a career. His brother Gavin played ice hockey for the Northern Counties but he prefers roller hockey now, he’s good at that too.

I never felt as if I made any sacrifices for Tony because we were teenagers together and we’d done most of the stuff we wanted to do by the time the children came. We had a great time, it was fantastic, but I’m glad I’m not a footballer’s wife now. I don’t envy them at all; they’ve got nothing I want. I’m quite happy being a mother, a nan and a great grandma. I’m not answerable to anybody, I can do whatever I please and I don’t have to compromise or fight anybody for the TV’s remote control because it’s mine. No shirts, no cricket whites or stinking socks, no lying awake at night waiting to hear the car pull up and wondering where he’s been.

We’re still in touch and I see him from time to time and we all think the world of him. He’s a legend around these parts. People still talk about Tony Kay in Sheffield he was the local hero.

Tony Kay played his last match as a professional against Wolves on 11 April 1964.

In April 1965, along with former team-mates David ‘Bronco’ Layne and Peter Swan, he was found guilty on charges of ‘conspiracy to defraud’ for his part in a betting scandal while he was with Sheffield Wednesday.

All three men were jailed for four months, fined £150 and banned from football for life. It was the most publicised match-fixing controversy in the history of English football.

Marina passed away on August 15th 2009 – Tony was at her bedside.

Taken from Real Footballers' Wives — the First Ladies of Everton, still available for purchase in book or Kindle form or from Becky Tallentire directly. You can contact Becky via @Bluestocking63 on Twitter or via email

Follow @bluestocking63
Share article:

Reader Comments (42)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 02/10/2018 at 11:11:21
Neither Wife nor Player, or so it seems looking back from this 'modern' way we now view things, got a fair crack of the whip.

Gerard McKean
2 Posted 02/10/2018 at 12:27:09
That great role model Rio Ferdinand missed a drugs test and was given an 8 month ban, 3 months of which was during the close season, and then resumed his club and international career and landed a job in tv after it. Tony Kay was banned for life for his part in putting a bet on that his team would lose against the Champions despite the fact that he was unanimously voted man of the match.

It struck me as mightily unfair then and time has made me even angrier. If Kay had been allowed to resume his playing career nobody would have heard about Nobby Stiles because Tony Kay would have been in the 1966 World Cup winning team, probably as captain.

However, Becky has brought us a different perspective here; no matter how much we missed him as a great footballer there were clearly more important and more devastating consequences. His family lost a husband and a dad and the man himself lost his bearings for many years, thus preventing him from being able to be that husband and dad.

Shame on the FA for imposing a life ban after he’d done his time. Shame on the Everton hierarchy for ignoring Kay for so many years.

Jay Wood

3 Posted 02/10/2018 at 13:10:11
Yet another poignant and superbly written piece, Becky.

How different a tale would be told for today's Footballers' Wives from those of a bygone age.

Gerry Quinn
4 Posted 02/10/2018 at 13:20:05
Remember running around to Ince Avenue (I lived 2 roads away), in Crosby, and knocking on the door to get Tony Kay's autograph - he was new into the digs at the time (must have been early 1963). Despite my nuisance call, he was very good to me and gave me his autograph. Great player - so sad what he suffered for such a stupid reason...
Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 02/10/2018 at 14:15:03
Great story! What a character Marina seems to be, really down to earth, with a funny, strong outlook on life; she didn't let anything (and there was plenty) get her down, she just got on with it. "Something will turn up", puts a lot of today's stars and their wives to shame.

I couldn't put the end of Tony's football career – and how he was treated and lost to the game – any better than Gerard McKean (#2) has already posted; very true, Gerard.

Brian Harrison
6 Posted 02/10/2018 at 14:29:44
For me Tony Kay was the best midfield player we have ever had, and that includes Bobby Collins who I also thought was a terrific player. At his first training session at Bellfield he turned up in a red Jaguar, the other players quickly told him he had to change it and quick. Kay had everything, he could pass as good as any in the league and his tackling was unparalleled. He ran the game, he was as hard as nails and he played in midfield when there was some of the most talented and also unscrupulous players around.

This was an era of Dave Mackay a fearsome tackler and Johnny Giles who thought nothing of going in over the top. But none were as good as Tony Kay, if he had been given a 6 month or even a 12 month ban he would have led us to many trophies. Sadly we were never able to replace him.

As Gerard said, it wouldn't have been Nobby Stiles dancing round Wembley with the World Cup, he wasn't fit to lace Kays boots. I remember every time Kay came to Goodison he was booed nearly every game as we just couldn't match his ball-winning skills or his sublime passing.

Also Tony loved nothing better than a 50-50 challenge I never ever saw him back out even when it was 60-40 in the opposition's favour. I know some say about Souness being a tough tackler, he wouldn't have survived in the early 60s – the likes of Chopper Harris and Mackay and Kay would have eaten him alive.

When you think that he and Lane and Swan were all banned for life and at the time they were all England internationals. Then, years later, Grobbelaar was found taking a bribe and still carried on with his career. As his wife says, Kay was voted Man of the Match in The People Newspaper the paper that broke the story.

Kay had absolutely no intention of throwing the match but he thought stupidly he would take the money but obviously no matter how well he played he had taken money to allegedly throw a game. When you look at all the drug cheats that have been allowed back into their sports, managers in football who have taken illegal payments, none were punished anywhere near what Swan, Lane and Kay got.

Jack Convery
7 Posted 02/10/2018 at 18:45:47
Timing is everything and the fact this happened, when it did, was why they were treated to what seems to us very harshly. My Dad adored him and always tells me he was the greatest midfield player to ever play for EFC and in his opinion England. Such a bloody shame and a terrible waste of talent. Great article by the way.
Andy Meighan
8 Posted 02/10/2018 at 19:05:32
Brilliant stuff again, Becky. Right, just going to get my steak on so I can throw it in my flask for work tomorrow.
Rick Tarleton
9 Posted 02/10/2018 at 19:32:32
A great player who was treated abysmally by the powers that be. A poignant tale of how fragile a footballer's life can be.
John Davies
10 Posted 02/10/2018 at 22:14:54
I heard a story about Tony Kay; however, I am not 100% sure if its true.

He was desperate to play football again, and got into a Sunday league team that played in Sefton Park. However, the FA found out, and because all amateur football is organised by the FA, they told the Sunday league team to get rid of him. That was years and years after he got banned as well.

Gareth Williams
11 Posted 03/10/2018 at 16:34:39
Tony Kay was a great player. Being given a life ban and sent to prison was ridiculous — it would not happen these days.
Tony Heron
12 Posted 03/10/2018 at 17:03:11
John @ 10. After he was banned, I remember seeing him play as a "ringer" on Jubilee Park in Huyton. Like no one knew who he was!!??

I also remember him playing for the blues and he was, without a shadow of doubt, one of the finest half-backs (as we used to call midfielders) that I ever saw. Streets ahead of any in the modern game.

Clive Rogers
13 Posted 03/10/2018 at 18:57:50
What a player. I remember his first home game at Goodison. Can't remember who the opposition was but we lost 1 - 0. Catterick had Kay as a sweeper that day and it looked as if he had been told not to cross the halfway line. But he still stood out with his tackling and passing.

I also remember an away 1st Division game at Blackburn when he was magnificent. At half time he was the last one out but came bounding onto the pitch and jumping into the air. We read later in the pink Echo that he had backed 3 horses in the Grand National that day and they had finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

He was a great player but also a bit of what would be called a “scally” in Liverpool.

Steve Carter
14 Posted 04/10/2018 at 08:36:29
Some here are over-egging, I think, Kay's moral characteristics. He was convicted on the evidence before a court of law, and did not appeal. And he didn't exactly lead a life devoid of criminality or criminal association thereafter: https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,1250123,00.html
Ray Roche
15 Posted 04/10/2018 at 09:06:05

There is always the possibility that his prison sentence, coupled with the loss of his livelihood, played some part in the path his life subsequently took. The number of ex-cons who then re-offend because they have little future in society are legion.

Okay, he was “convicted on the evidence before a court of law” hmmm presumably like the court of law that saw video of Grobbelaar trouser an envelope of bank notes and still let him off?

Or the numerous occasions since when players have been caught gambling yet get off with a slapped wrist.

Derek Thomas
16 Posted 04/10/2018 at 10:05:58
I'm sure I saw him play under 'A N Other' in the Roger Hunt testimonial. Even though it was a testimonial, 3 players stood out: a young Keegan, an 'old' Gerry Byrne, and Tony – who, over and above those two and all the other stars on show – was my MotM. He plus the other two treated it with World Cup Final / derby game Intensity.
Becky Tallentire
17 Posted 04/10/2018 at 18:03:56
Thanks for your comments, I've read them all and keep checking back for more.

I've also read them to Tony Kay and will answer all your questions as best I can.

#2 Gerard, as I was reading it out to Tony, I got a lump in my throat and couldn't speak.

#4 Gerry Quinn – yes, he said Harry put him in digs in Crosby with a 'little old lady' – he thinks he was only there a short time, a couple of weeks at the most, then he was moved to the Lord Nelson Hotel where he stayed with Morecambe and Wise. Do you still have the autograph?

#6 Brian Harrison – he said there was no such thing as a 50/50 ball. It was 100% his, every single time.

He couldn't throw a game of football for all the money in the world. He doesn't have it in him to lose – even against children!

#8 Andy, I hadn't read the story for years before I sent it to Lyndon... and smiled for the 100th time when I read that bit. And such cruel torture for Tony, inhaling it in the visits hall.

#10 John – yes he would always play a game for anybody, anywhere at any time and carried his boots with him wherever he went – in the hope of seeing a game he could join in. He played a lot for the Guinness Exports and Otis Elevators. Because of his hair, he was really recognisable but only was asked to leave once when he was playing for a showbiz team v the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. He said the cocky watchman wouldn't let him in – obviously a Kopite. He also went over to Ireland and the Irish FA wouldn't let him play.

Years later when he was in his 60s, he was playing for the Eastenders team and was yellow-carded. They had to pay the fine and the FA got back to Tom Watt and reminded him the Tony was banned. I can't remember what he replied but I do remember reading an article about it in a matchday program which Tommy had written.

#13 Clive – he says he doesn't remember losing any games the whole time he was here, says there may have been a draw but no losses.

The Grand National story is true, he said the winner was called Team Spirit and he chose it because of the name although it was only tiny.

#14 Steve – there was no evidence. They went back as to the start of their careers and there was nothing other than that one bet. Tony didn't take the stand because his solicitor forbade him to. The other two did and they ran rings round them. Don't forget, Jimmy Gauld had already sold his story to The People, the very newspaper which had unearthed the betting syndicate. Kay, Swan and Layne were found guilty of 'conspiracy to defraud' because they had inadvertently become part of something much bigger.

#16 Derek – yes he played in Roger Hunt's testimonial – he also captained the blue team at Dixie Dean's.

It's always lovely to read your comments after these stories have been published, it warms my heart. I never really know at what point to reply and always fear I've left it too late.

Tony's happy to reminisce so if you have any questions or memories to share, I'll keep coming back to check.

Thanks fellas!

Steve Ferns
18 Posted 04/10/2018 at 19:18:30
Great story. Best wishes to Tony.
Dave Abrahams
19 Posted 04/10/2018 at 19:45:42
Becky (#17), if Tony says he played in those two benefit matches, Roger Hunt's and Dixie Dean's, then it must be true.

The question is: how did he get away with it without getting pulled up about it? There was nothing in the press reports about Tony playing. I was at both of them games, knew Tony's gait and style like thousands of Evertonians, so apart from dying his hair what else did he do to disguise his very obvious ability?

I don't disbelieve that he played; I would love to know the stories behind both games.

Brian Harrison
20 Posted 04/10/2018 at 19:47:35

How nice of you to take the time to reply to all of us who have posted so far. I am sure you realize the high regard Tony was held in by the fans. As I said in my post earlier, he was the best midfield player I ever saw in a blue shirt, and believe me, we have had some excellent midfield players in the time I have been watching.

Lyndon has done a few interviews with ex players wives and each one has been fascinating. I think as fans we forget how hard in can be on the wives and children of players. The wives have to move house often to another part of the country and then find schools for the children. I know today some players' wives are as famous as their husbands but, back when Tony was playing, wives were never seen and definitely not heard. So it was nice to hear your recollections from that time.

Becky Tallentire
21 Posted 04/10/2018 at 20:06:50
Oh, I can't believe I forgot about the red Jaguar. No, no, no, no! He had a gold Jaguar. When they made The Fix, they couldn't find a gold one so had to use white.
Becky Tallentire
22 Posted 04/10/2018 at 20:13:17
#19 Dave – There are photos of Dixie flanked by Tony and Big Ron Yeats – what date was that?

He can't remember whether he was in Spain and Catterick flew him back.

Dave Abrahams
23 Posted 04/10/2018 at 20:43:13
Becky (#22), as I said, I don't doubt Tony played in those games, just why I didn't recognise him? After all, he was a unique player, as Brian says (20) he was really appreciated by us Evertonians. A sad day for us fans when Tony was banned, much sadder for Tony.
Steve Carse
24 Posted 04/10/2018 at 23:18:15
A truly great player. The way Ramsay picked his sides, there's no guarantee he'd have won more caps though. Is my memory right that he scored from outside the box in what was his only cap?
Ron Marr
25 Posted 05/10/2018 at 17:36:51
Tony Kay was a brilliant midfield player. I remember going to the game at Birmingham in the 1963-64 season and it seemed like he destroyed Brum single-handedly. Towards the end of the game, he started showboating a little and then turned to wink to the crowd. It was effing awesome for this 9-year-old kid watching the game.
Gerard McKean
26 Posted 05/10/2018 at 20:35:41
Becky, to be honest I had a lump in my own throat at the thought of you reading out our posts to Tony.

It is obvious, apart from the odd exception, that those of us who saw him play and knew the circumstances behind his ban rate Tony Kay as worthy of his place in Walhalla. This man was one of the true greats. Becky, you are the conduit and if ever this great man would like a pint with mere mortals I’m sure from the posts of Dave A and Brian H and Ron and others they would fight me to get the first round!

Please let Tony know he is revered. I remember going to Everton v Man City away a few years ago before they became rich. After the match it all kicked off on Oxford St. So my mate and I dived into a pub near the station to let the trouble die down before getting the train back to Liverpool.

Turned out it was a Sitteh pub. But the beer was good so we stayed longer than intended. Next thing we were surrounded by some Sitteh young things. We were good talkers so the immediate threat of violence was averted. We asked them who was the best Sitteh player - they said Anelka! Rubbish, we told them, it was Colin Bell! So who’s the best Everton player you’ve seen, they asked? Tony Kay. At which point some guy came over and told the youngsters to disappear and bought us a pint. He was the guv’nor there and said, lads anyone who likes Colin Bell and Tony Kay is welcome in this pub!

Gerry Quinn
27 Posted 06/10/2018 at 10:02:29
Becky, please let Tony know, I am sorry, but that autograph has long since been lost. However, re-assure him that, even at 67 years old, I can look back with such childish joy at watching him play for MY Everton...
Kevin OHagan
28 Posted 06/10/2018 at 23:13:12
My grandad started taking me to the match the season after we'd won the FA Cup, 1966-67. I soon wanted to know everything about Everton FC.

He told me about Dixie and Tommy Lawton. He told me about the Golden Vision, who was still with the club. He gave me the picture of our 1962-63 Division 1 League Championship team, issued by PG Tips, I think. I recognised Alex Young and our goalkeeper Gordon West.

I asked about a player who had an 'X' drawn in ballpoint on his neck. Grandad said "It is Tony Kay, he went to jail!" I wondered... as grandad continued, "He was better than Duncan Edwards, we would've won the league again and again if we had him!"

I believed every word my grandad told me, about footy, about politics, and about life... and I still do.

God bless Tony and Marina – a very strong woman.

Clive Rogers
29 Posted 07/10/2018 at 09:48:43
Becky #17, he may be correct. It could be my memory and it may have been a draw.
Bill Watson
30 Posted 08/10/2018 at 02:06:37
Thanks for a really great article, Becky.

As many have said, Tony, and the others, were victims of the time they lived in and would never have been banned for life in the modern era.

Tony was a great player who Harry Catterick intended building his team around.

I well remember a home match against Sheffield Wednesday which they won 0-4. Catterick was their manager and Tony ran their midfield. He was booed every time he touched the ball but little did we realise that within a short time they would both be at Everton.

Everyone was gobsmacked when we signed him as he was to replace Brian Harris who, himself, was a top, top player.

Ron #23, I think the Birmingham game you mention was in the Championship season 1962-63. It was around four games from the end of the season and we won 0-1. It was an afternoon match and me and my mate sagged off school to go. (We were caught lol) Near the end of the game Tony took the ball to the corner flag and sat on it to waste time!

I last saw Tony when he refereed a women's game at the Dockers club, in Townsend Lane. It was circa 1970 and women's football was still banned by the FA, so anyone involved would have faced a ban themselves.

I, too, had a Triumph Herald. Quite a nice little car for it's day.

My son was in the Tuebrook Woodcraft Folk where I attained the dizzy heights of Elfin Leader!!
The Woodcraft Folk is still going strong today as a peaceful, gender equal, alternative to the scouts and guides. None of the militaristic stuff and swearing allegiance to the Queen nonsense. Not too sure about character-building, though, as this lifelong Blue's son crossed to the Dark Side and has a season ticket on the Kop.

Thanks, again, Becky, and please pass on my regards to Tony if you see him.

Ron Marr
31 Posted 09/10/2018 at 06:46:22
Bill, I just looked it up on EvertonResults.com it was Oct 5th, 1963, 2-0 to Everton, Tony Kay and Derek Temple scored. It was the only time I went to St. Andrews Stadium.
Bill Watson
32 Posted 09/10/2018 at 09:24:43
Ron; the game I was thinking of was near the end of the previous season when we won the League. Unusually, it was a midweek afternoon game and I think this was because the Birmingham car workers had an extra day off following the Bank Holiday Monday.
Martin Nicholls
33 Posted 09/10/2018 at 21:43:56
Great article, Becky, great thread guys. I too remember Tony as the magnificent player he was – Stiles was perhaps the only man to benefit from this massive injustice.
Bob Boote
34 Posted 10/10/2018 at 00:35:53
I think this is relevant here, it relates to “normal kids” growing up to be celebrities and not coping.

It's sad to see Gazza like this... Vinny's last line is quite profound.


Dave Abrahams
35 Posted 10/10/2018 at 21:48:30
Bill (#32), the season we won the league, Everton played West Brom away near the end of the season. This was an afternoon game, Wednesday I think; we won (4-0), is it possible this is the game you are thinking of?
Colin Gee
36 Posted 10/10/2018 at 21:57:21
My old man, who supports the Dark Side, says that Tony Kay was one of the best players he ever saw. From him, that is high praise indeed. He must have really been some player then!
Mike Doyle
37 Posted 10/10/2018 at 22:10:30
Kevin #28,

My late father was a keen attendee at games between the late 1940s and the last game he attended (the 1986 FA Cup Final). He always maintained that the top 3 players he ever saw play were Duncan Edwards, Tony Kay & George Best (with a mention in despatches for the North Koreans who almost beat Portugal at Goodison in 1966).

Phil Bellis
38 Posted 10/10/2018 at 22:27:30
Mike... Fond memories of Florian Albert and Farkas(?) in 1966.

For me, best seen in the flesh: Kay, Best, Ball in no particular order.

If only... a Midfield of Ball, Kay, Kendall and Harvey.

Paul Kelly
39 Posted 10/10/2018 at 23:46:33
Great bloke, had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, he was good enough to get me copies of some Everton pics he had too. Even introduced him to a mate of mine at a party we were at, he was gobsmacked when I told him who it was, didn't believe us at all!

Top bloke though. (Becky, doubt Tony remembers, it was at Sid's and Geraldine's – Carol's best mate, I'm their son in law, the one who probably pestered him all night talking bollocks about the old days!)

Bill Watson
40 Posted 11/10/2018 at 00:52:52
Dave (#35),

I've looked them up:

April 15 Bank Holiday Monday: Brum (h) 2-2 Scott, Young
April 16 Tuesday Brum (a) 0-1 Vernon
May 7 Tuesday WBA (a) 0-4 Young 2, Vernon, Og

My memory had said there were four matches to go but there were actually seven (it was the big freeze season).

I particularly remember the Birmingham away match being on a Tuesday as, as I mentioned, I'd sagged off school and had been missed.

Another reason it was memorable was, possibly, life-changing. As we were walking back to the coach, a convertible Bentley pulled up and the driver asked how we were getting home and if we wanted a lift. As I was opening the car door, to get in, my mate said we were okay as we were on a Crown coach. It was John Moores!!!

It was our last year in school and I reckoned that on the (pre motorway) two-hour journey home, I could have wangled a job offer off him. A career in the Littlewoods Organisation beckoned. Such is life!

Ray Atherton
41 Posted 12/10/2018 at 18:14:15
I think Tony made his debut at Swindon Town in the 4th Round of the FA Cup, 1963.I went down on a Sunnways coach, hoping the game would be playable. Snow all over the country in the big freeze.

The Swindon groundsmen made a good job, but it wouldn't take place nowadays.

Four of us didn't have tickets, but we told the man in charge we play in the Central League. He got us two benches on the perimeter. Far-fetched, no-one would have that now.

Mike Summerbee was their right winger that night. Tony Kay missed his tackle on him, the turf was atrocious, he was on the floor just by us. I helped him up he said "I will get the bastard".

Everton had a theatrical celebration at the Dome Theatre, Grand Central Hall, Renshaw Street, for 50 years winning the league in 1963. Tony Kay, Derek Temple and Billy Bingham.

I had a chat to Tony about that Swindon game; he said,"Anyone at that game deserves a medal."

John Cook
42 Posted 01/11/2018 at 09:20:38
A sickening article in the Sun (yeah, I know) about Unai Emmery consistently betting against his own club! Bragging about it in his new book. Makes me sick to think of the punishment netted out to Tony, one of the best midfielders I have had the pleasure to see.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© Becky Tallentire. All rights reserved.