NewsRumoursReportsVideoTalking PointsArticles
Text Size:  A  A  A
Season 2011-12
VIEW FROM THE BLUE

The march is the message

By Lyndon Lloyd   ::  10/08/2011
 64 Comments (»Last)
Seeing as the subject of neutrality came up earlier today, it's probably worth highlighting the fact that two or three very well-written and argued articles have popped up elsewhere ? at Smell the Wintergreen and at Royal Blue Mersey: To protest, or not to protest?, for example ? over the past couple of days, pieces that highlight just how conflicted some are over the whole issue of protesting a situation whose resolution looks so damned difficult and potentially painful.

[Not to mention the fact that the idea of protesting at all is curiously anathema to many; I was there on the Goodison pitch in the rain in May 1998 chanting "Johnson Out" as passionately as the next Blue and it wasn't any clearer back then who would replace him than it is now regarding the Kenwright Board.]

For me, though, irrespective of how reticent you are to force a regime change at Everton, tomorrow's march by The Blue Union offers a simple opportunity to demonstrate to the Board that you're unhappy with the status quo, that you're worried sick by the financial situation at the Club, that it's more than just a "small group of fans" who feel this way, and that significant change has to come about, no matter who carries it out.

If the Kenwright meeting demonstrated anything, it's that the Chairman is woefully out of touch with ordinary Evertonians, oblivious (until perhaps the boos that accompanied his face flashing up on the big screen inside the stadium against QPR) that there is a sizable group of fans who strongly disagree with the way the Club is moving under his leadership.

So, go to the rallying point and join the march. If the character of it doesn't feel right or any chants make you uncomfortable, then simply stand aside and let it continue on without you.

But, with so many planned protests having died before birth, the anger fizzling out before it could be channeled into anything meaningful, and all other channels (e.g. AGMs) having been closed, I feel this is a rare opportunity to make our voices heard, peacefully and in large numbers.

After that, you can get inside the ground and become that 12th man to spur on a team that desperately needs all the support it can get.

Reader Comments

Peter Stone
1   Posted 10/09/2011 at 01:09:05

As always Lyndon, a perfectly balanced and eruditely communicated observation.
Robin Cannon
2   Posted 10/09/2011 at 01:58:39

I agree with every word of this. I hope the protest stays focused. Keep it on message; that there are deep seated problems with the way Everton are run, and it's BK's responsibility at the end of the day. We deserve a voice.

I'll be shouting at some dodgy web stream of the match from the US, wish everyone on the march beforehand the best.
Robbie Shields
3   Posted 10/09/2011 at 04:19:51

Couldn't agree with you more, Lyndon; wish I could be there to join the peaceful demonstration and then cheer on the mighty Blues, but being in Australia now that is a little difficult.

Fellow blues, if you are genuinely concerned about how Everton have been run over the last 10 years and are continuing to be run then please don't be put off by scaremongering accusations that the demonstrations will affect the team ? the two are completely separate issues.

If, on the other hand, you are happy with our level of debt, the squad at Moyes's disposal, and the sale of assets, then don't attend the march. As they say in Australia... Easy as.

Tony Cheek
4   Posted 10/09/2011 at 06:55:28

Would love to be there for the march, and of course the match. Hope you all meet up in your thousands.
Professional footballers dont let this get to them....if anything I think it will spur them on. Be sensibly vocal on the march and be positively vocal at the game. Good luck to you all!

COYB!
Alan Clarke
5   Posted 10/09/2011 at 08:25:44

This is our opportunity to try and do something. Those still not sure ask yourselves: what happens if you do nothing?

If Kenwright continues and we continue on the road to ruin, what did you do? Did you try and challenge the current set up? Did you try and have your concerns heard? Did you try and do something to make sure we didn't become the next Sheffield Wednesday? Did you try and help save the club so it's preserved for your kids and future generations?

If all you did was sit on the fence then you can have no complaints when more 1st teamers are sold, when our manager leaves, when all our good youth products are sold and we get completely left behind.

This is an oportunity to do something so what are you going to do about it?
Simon Atkins
6   Posted 10/09/2011 at 08:24:11

Think this may very nicely achieve two things: 1) get the message over to the board that they are failing Moyes and us the fans in their main aim of securing investment and 2) create a decent atmosphere inside the ground for the first time in a while.

It really is time for a change and let's hope this is the start of it.
Steve Ferns
7   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:17:52

What a load of rubbish. So what if a few hundred people protest most will not as it begs the question, what are you protesting about? What could Kenwright have done so differently? Who has bought a football club and changed things for the better in recent years?

Can you not see that all this is harming our club? It's affecting the morale and will of the players. Our financial situation is not good but
Steve Ferns
8   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:22:11

It is not as bad as some of you make out, ie another Portsmouth.

No one wants to buy us because there's nothing to buy, just a brand that's seen better days, a shed of a ground and some players.

Everton will cost too much to put right and no one has that kind of cash to spare.
Karl Jones
9   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:10:13

There is no buyer at present..All this does is put pressure on the playing staff ( No club wins or plays well under pressure) ,and will put off any prospective purchasers of the club. We could be under pressure to sell to the next bidder and end up in a worse situation than having Peter Johnson.
The next Birmingham or West Ham?
Martin Mason
10   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:51:37

We have had no net spending now for seven years and we've recently had to unload players to balance the books meaning that we'll have to blood young players and we've only just managed to be in the top ten for most of the last 10 years so of course we must protest.

Wait a minute though! Surely we should praise the board for being in this very good situation. It's a situation that every club in the league apart fom 5 or 6 would love to be in.

There may be some basis for complaint against the club but pointless in respect of the real issues.
Gerry Grimes
11   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:46:32

When people say we're not a salable proposition they need to ask why.
The ground is a key issue ,but real opportunities have been passed on and mistakes made by the current owners. If Kings Dock had been executed we would have a fine modern stadium in the heart of the city. It represents the biggest failure of all and it happened under Kenwright's watch.
Regarding a brand that's seen better days , this is true. However, no effort has been made to resurrect this brand and generate interest in the club at a time of unprecedented interest iin the game. Again failure by current owners.
Quite simply the club is being allowed stagnate and if not for Moyes would be dead on it's knees.
Change is required and the message today is that the status quo is simply not acceptable
Tom Hughes
12   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:57:27

Yes moyes has indeed papered over the cracks and achieved respectabilty despite this board and not because of them....... now thje shoestring has snapped and we are selling not to improve, but exist. This board has delivered nothing but a training ground it no longer owns, and a club that cannot buy and can barely sustain the smallest squad in the league. New traing ground? They could probably all get in my back garden and I wouldn't have even charged.
Tom Hughes
13   Posted 10/09/2011 at 09:57:27

Ged Alexander
14   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:18:14

Lyndon, balanced, yes. And sensible. But what will the rallying cry be? 'Replace the board?' For me, sadly, it is time to 'Kenwright out".
David Bryant
15   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:24:05

Whilst I share the frustrations of many I still cannot see any merit or justification for this "march" (all 200 yds worth!). I have not yet heard any intelligent objectives for the "Blue Union" whom I believe are most likely to cause division amongst our fanbase.
This website is toxic and certain individuals may well be able to proudly claim in the coming years that they contributed to the termination of the BK era. What exactly the future will hold, none of us know.
I not heard of a coherent PLan A alternative to BK. Dangerous people who think they are more intelligent than they are and the stupid morons who willingly accept every poisonous word posted on TW do not have a viabl;e alternative. So why are you marching like leemings??

EFC needs SUPPORT more than ever so if you are a true believer then show it.
Alan Clarke
16   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:48:53

David, you're obviously not willing to listen to the argument against BK. Have your opinion by all means but don't come on here not willing to debate and not even having read what The Blue Union have written or said.

It's a joke that you dismiss the arguments against Kenwright by saying there's no alternative. There are alternatives, you've just been sucked in by everything Kenwright says.

Just remember there are millionaires sat on our board in Earl and Grantchester. There's also the involvement of Philip Green, a billionnaire. They are all willing to sit there and watch the club being strangled to death. If they're not on that board to help things move forward then why are they there at all?

I sincerely hope David, the clueless fans like you are now in the minority.
Tom Hughes
17   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:54:51

David, you propose apathy backed by blind faith....... this board have delivered nothing! No toxic poison..... just fact!!! Compare that to the incessant lies that have supported this regime and every failure they have presided over. It would seem some will refuse to see this till we have actually tipped over the edge.
Ciarán McGlone
18   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:00:46

Good luck to all those concerned fans who show their dissatisfaction today. You're doing the right thing. I wish I could be there.
James Morgan
19   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:53:53

Good article Lyndon, point well made.
I wish I was there today to back the cause and more importantly the team. Unfortunately I'll have to watch on the net at work. I don't think the protest will affect the players, they are professionals.

Karl #9 No team plays well under pressure? What about the way Barcelona played United off the park in the CL final? They would have been under tremendous pressure to win that game, as well as other countless teams in big games.
David Bryant
20   Posted 10/09/2011 at 10:59:24

Alan,
This "debate" as you call it, has been going on for many moons and I have contributed and I don't need to be told not to come on TW like some outsider.

I do believe that I am indeed a "clueless fan" clearly in the minority -- at least as far as Toffeeweb regulars are concerned. This site does seem to attract the militant tendency (remember what they did to our City?). However, if I can see no constructive purpose for taking such action then I for one will not join with the mob.
Also, take a look around you at other websites/media. I think you will find that actually, I am the MAJORITY.
Ciarán McGlone
21   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:30:55

David,

Majority or not, your position is still despicable. You admit there's big problems, yet your only solution is to be vocal about protest. Apathy is one thing, but actively opposing protest is disgraceful.

You appear to be unable to distinguish between the club and the cretins who currently run it.
Martin Mason
22   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:53:41

Not listening is a two-way process and the accusers are equally misguided as the accused. David is absolutely entitled to his opinions and they are as valid as anybody elses.
David Bryant
23   Posted 10/09/2011 at 11:52:41

Ciaran - 22
"despicable" "disgraceful"

As I said previously, this action will cause a division to the fanbase.
I hold a different view to the militant tendency and expect to be vilified for expressing opposition. That does not make me any the less passionate Evertonian and I maintain that the actions of the self-appointed Blue Union have no realistic hope of changing things for the better.
The world and his wife know that EFC is for sale and I do believe BK would be delighted to walk away from all this animosity and hatred. This march will not make anything positive happen.
Tom Hughes
24   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:09:14

David..... he's been looking 24/7 for practically his whole tenure. Some clubs have been sold several times.... all have improved their stadia and all have provided greater funds for their managers.... our best chance to break into the top 4 has been wasted. Our best chance to have a world class stadium on a world class site has been squandered....... we now sell just to survive........all on his watch!
Ryan Holroyd
25   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:24:16

Alan Clarke

Just one thing. Grantchester is NOT on the board of directors.
Karl Jones
26   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:28:01

James #20...When I said " No team plays well under pressure", I was talking about supporter unrest (as of demos at the RS last season) not pressure to win football matches.
Ged Alexander
27   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:35:31

Grantchester is no uber-businessman but he can be a temporary..
Frank Key
28   Posted 10/09/2011 at 12:31:00

Good luck to all the fans today who are protesting against the way our great club is being run (into the ground). To quote our manager, 'we do things with a bit of dignity at Everton'.

Let's just hope the protest achieves its' objective.
Richard Tarleton
29   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:10:59

Wish I could be there, hope there are thousands to show what we think of Kenwright's mismanagement.
Richard Dodd
30   Posted 10/09/2011 at 13:19:33

As one who will delay my departure for Goodison until well after 2pm with the sole aim of avoiding today`s rabble raising march,I am at a total loss to understand what this action seeks to achieve.I have yet to hear from a single protester who-or what- they see as the alternative to Blue Bill and his Board with most of them stopping short after screaming `Kenwright Out!`
Fans who believe the purchase of a ticket to see games gives them the right -and the qualifications-to run their club are sadly deluded, for even those with business experience know next to nothing of a Premier club`s workings.Far better to channel all this energy into vocal support for the TEAM and leave all the politicing to those who have paid good money for the dubious priviledge of ordering its business affairs.
So let`s hear it now:-
COME ON YOU BLUES!
Kieran Kinsella
31   Posted 10/09/2011 at 14:04:17

Dodd

The only reason you are delaying your arrival at Goodison is because your real name is Bill Kenwright
Julie Naybour
32   Posted 10/09/2011 at 14:27:35

Davd Bryant. I am with you. You seem like a sole voice on this website but I totally agree. I know I will be abused for this but I want you to know you are not alone. Not only have I been unconvinced by the arguements, I think this is having a terrible negative affect on the team, who must feel they are swimming against the tide - not to mention their own fans.
Everyone, including BK knows his limitations but it seems to me, you are biting the hand that feeds you. So whilst it may not be the best hand, it's the only hand we've got and I, at least. am glad we have someone whose heart is on the club, rather than a financially driven uninterested conglomerate. Do I wish we had more money? - of couse, am I happy with the situation? - of course not. i also appreciate BK has made mistakes but be careful what you wish for - it could be a lot worse if the Blue Union gets their way. I know I will be slated as being naive or worse but just maybe, just maybe, what the club are saying is true and people behind the scenes are slogging their guts out to make things work against an alomst impossible background of the financial quagmire, that is football today, then maybe support and backing is what Everton need! If BK or DM walked away in despair, we'll really know what's hit us.
Steve Ferns
33   Posted 10/09/2011 at 17:35:36

Good to see the march was a shambles and no one really bothered. This shows what the real match going fans think not the toxic pens who inhabit the Internet posing as Everton fans.
Brian Waring
34   Posted 10/09/2011 at 17:53:39

Steve, maybe some fans protested by staying away?

A Saturday game, against Villa, attendance 32.736........?
Mike Allison
35   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:12:44

Maybe some fans felt driven away by the protest?

Who knows?
David Bryant
36   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:10:54

By my reckoning there were about 200 in the pathetic "march" which must finally put and end to the myth that Blue Union represents the majority. Even the limited booing when BK appeared on the screens was quickly drowned out by applause.
Give it up now. You're beginning to look stupid!
Brian Waring
37   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:17:09

David, I remember the minority who opposed Kirkby being called stupid.
Paul Columb
38   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:23:35

OK...so how many truly attended the march??
I hear 200 from the BK apologists and over 1000 from BU. As far as those who booed BK for the QPR game and then applauded him today.....are you really that fickle and taken by the predictable PR that's come out of the club over the past week?? If were 2-0 down today, would there still be applause?? We're all behind the team for the 90 mins but have a responsibility to protest the interest of the club when it comes to how it's administered.
There are differing opinions, yes, but for those who support the current board it's bang out of line to suggest taking a stand against them will affect on field performance. And this whole 'kopite' call is childish at best and irresponsible at worst....give it a rest.
Paul Columb
39   Posted 10/09/2011 at 18:31:56

sorry.....'protect'...not 'protest'
David Crowe
40   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:35:09

This protest was a misguided waste of time. BK can't sell the club because it's not a good investment to make. Not because he "can't let go".

You say he's "out of touch with the fans". Well today's events would suggest he's definitely "in touch" and would suggest it is you who is out of touch I'm afraid. The reception he got suggested it - I say it. YOU are out of touch. Too many doom and gloom internet forums for you sir.

You remind me of the conspiracy theorists who think 9/11 was an inside job. The truth has been told and it's plain to see but yet, you're not satisfied. Grow up. Have to say I'm so proud of our supporters today. No RS-esque kerfuffle and indeed, a protest against the protesters. Only Everton. COYB
David Crowe
41   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:41:25

In addition the Blue Union are fools with the best intentions. Unfortunately, due to their ridiculous actions regarding the meeting tape leak I'll have difficulty taking them seriously again.
Brian Waring
42   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:47:47

" I'll have difficulty taking them seriously again "

Can I ask a question David ? If you can't take BU seriously again, then surely after all the bullshit and lies we have had from BK, you can't take anything he says, or does, seriously ?
Mark Wayman
43   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:40:58

I don't know where the '200' figure came from. There were well over 1000. Made up of all ages and both sexes. There wasn't any abusive chants, and went calmly.

If you don't agree with protesting, or you think the current board are doing well, then fair enough, that is your opinion. But don't lie, you make yourselves look foolish. I'm sure the camera crews will show the real numbers.
Mark Wayman
44   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:40:58

Michael Kenrick
45   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:45:30

David Crowe, for many of us who understand the issues being raised and pursued by the Blue Union, there remain many serious questions, not least the astounding appearance of not just one but three more potential buyers whenever there seem to be questions raised about Kenwright's efforts to sell the club.

The stories from Kenwright are simply unbelievable. The detailed record of the meeting was essential to show that Kenwright is not only a liar (we knew that already) but is arrogant, delusional and incompetent. I think if anything they have missed a beat by stepping back from asking him to step aside, and put someone more capable in his place.

Brian Waring
46   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:52:42

Mark, the 200 figure probably came from someone trying to discredit the protest.

We'll probalby have that tit Prentice telling us that there was only around 100 protesters.
David Thomas
47   Posted 10/09/2011 at 19:56:41

Mark Wayman,

Well over 1,000? Who are you trying to kid? I saw the protest myself and unless you were counting each person 3 times there was never in a million years over 1,000 people there. At a very push there was 500 people.
Brian Waring
48   Posted 10/09/2011 at 20:12:33

David, you probalby couldn't see too well through those blue tinted specs.
David Thomas
49   Posted 10/09/2011 at 20:25:46

Brian,

I could see fine thanks. I couldnt care less if there was 2 people there or 30,000.

What i do mind is someone coming on and telling blatant lies.

I have not got any issue with the BU at all. I respect their opinions and the people involved are all evertonians wanting the best for our club.

But to come on and say there was well over 1,000 is a lie.
David Crowe
50   Posted 10/09/2011 at 22:02:18

Michael Kenrick

Name the lies and how you know 100% that they are lies? How come everyone at the club seems hell bent on backing Kenwright through this? Is he lying to every person at the club? Is every word that comes out of his mouth a lie?

I ask the same of Brian Waring.... or indeed anyone that would like to tell me as I don't know of anything that Bill hs said to the supporters that has been proven a lie.
Michael Kenrick
51   Posted 10/09/2011 at 23:01:12

David, is there really any point?

If I put proven lies up here, would you believe they were lies?

Or would you worm and squirm to find ways of excusing the bullshit this man has spouted to Evertonians over the years ? and continues to spout.

Are you a regular reader?

Have you really never seen posts listing lie after lie after lie?

Even his most ardent supporters aren't daft enough to challenge them. Most people know he's a liar. You only have to read the meeting report published by Blue Union to know the man talks absolute garbage. He loves Everton but he lies persistently.

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he can help himself. But you don't sound so delusional... why would you think he's always telling truth?
Rob Hollis
52   Posted 11/09/2011 at 00:47:59

Well BK may be half mad but it was clear at the game that he has the support of the vast majority who were there.

I doubt it is because they think he is fantastic. I expect it is because there has been no real potential buyer. Anyone with the cash would go public if the board did not play ball and this has not happened.

David Crowe
53   Posted 11/09/2011 at 01:49:43

My belief is that he doesn't lie. I'm not a regular on this site as such but I am on others and if you could just give me one or two things he's said and then tell me exactly why they are lies and how this has been proven then I will back down and accept it.

I think he tells the truth, Michael, because he's a good man at heart and also loves this club. I believe his problem and the fans' frustration lies not in what he has said being untrue and rather in what he hasn't or hadn't said. The Blue Union leak showed that although we want the truth, some things should not be made public. That leak infuriated me as a fan of this club and showed a couple of these things very clearly, firstly that Bill is prepared to tell the dark truths and secondly that frustrated fans have portayed Bill as something he is not.

I could be wrong here. You could give me examples of times where Bill has said something when the opposite was true and he knew and I'll have to eat my words. I'm not blindly following, I've explained my opinion.
Derek Daly
54   Posted 11/09/2011 at 09:28:56

A thousand people on the march adds up to one in every 30 Evertons fans on the day.

1 in 30 Marched under the BU banner

discuss
Tom Hughes
55   Posted 11/09/2011 at 10:42:51

Degsy,
Read davids post and you'll see why some still support bk. Apathy, blind faith, local media failing to report the real issues....... means some can't recognise blatant multiple lies and failures and will excuse almost anything because he's a blue. Sometimes we get what we deserve!

This board have delivered nothing....... discuss
David Crowe
56   Posted 11/09/2011 at 13:03:39

FFS Tom give me quotes and concrete proof he was lying. Why can't anyone do that?
Tom Hughes
57   Posted 11/09/2011 at 13:14:47

Ffs dave........ do you mean FSF? stadium for nothing, ring fenced funds for kings dock,GP will fail its safety cert........... I could go on and on, but theres no point when you won't listen.
Brian Waring
58   Posted 11/09/2011 at 13:40:52

Wouln't even sell Rooney for £50m.
David Crowe
59   Posted 11/09/2011 at 14:13:20

Actually about GP failing it's safety cert I agree. It would have been in the club's interest to get the fans onside as, had DK materialised we wouldn't be in the position we are now. Still though, I asked for proof. How do you know that he didn't actually believe what he was saying at the time?

Maybe he knew what was coming if we didn't get the move to Kirkby? Possibly. But I doubt he was truly lying as I bet we've spent hell of a lot on GP to keep it up to scratch. If he was doing it for the positive motive of getting votes for a move to Kirkby and securing the future of the club then I'm sorry I can't hate him for that because I love the club too (and I voted 'No' for the record.)

And as for "I could go on and on" please do.
Tom Hughes
60   Posted 11/09/2011 at 14:47:40

I personally contacted the authorities regarding the safety cert and was told that the safety cert wwas not in jeopardy at all.... this was one of several lies designed to secure a yes vote for a fundamentally flawed project..... that would never have been in the best interests of the club and like everything else attempted by this board ended in abject failure. I see you conveniently ignored the FSF and kings dock debacles.....
Brendan O'Neill
61   Posted 11/09/2011 at 14:57:48

BK never said that we wouldn't sell Rooney for £50M.

What he did say after he scored the goals for England in Euro 2004 was that Rooney was now a £50M player.

There's a big difference in those 2 statements.
David Crowe
62   Posted 11/09/2011 at 15:28:19

Why the hell would BK try to do something that big if not in the interests of the club? Do you think DK was an evertonian's plot to worsen the club's financial situation? And in truth I don't know enough on the subjects of FSF and King's Dock to make a judgement to be fair.
David Crowe
63   Posted 11/09/2011 at 15:32:07

And do you think, for example, if a Portsmouth fan had contacted the authorities before adminisatration had been confirmed publically that they would have told him/her that they were on the brink of non existence? I'm not saying I think GP will fail a safety certificate any time soon but they wouldn't have told you if they were even in danger of failing a security check.
David Crowe
64   Posted 11/09/2011 at 15:37:15

And that's if what you say is true about contacting the authorities.