1966 and All That – The Story of Everton's Cup Glory

In May 50 years ago Everton celebrated one of the greatest days in the club's history with a thrilling win at Wembley in the 1966 FA Cup Final.

Featuring match reports by Horace Yates and Jack Rowe

As Everton kicked off their 1966 FA Cup campaign the omens were inauspicious, the club's previous taste of cup glory had been 33 years previously when Dean, Stein and Dunn hit the goals to defeat Manchester City. A season of underachievement in the league had boiled over the previous weekend, in the aftermath of a 2-0 defeat at Bloomfield Road, with the infamous “Blackpool Rumble” (© David France). Goodison idol, Alex Young's, omission in favour of teenage debutant, Joe Royle, had grabbed headlines and enraged disciples of The Golden Vision. Post-match, Harry Catterick encountered the ire of a group of disaffected Toffees as he made his way back to the team coach.  What happened next has been debated for — was the manager kicked or shoved or did he merely stumble over himself?  Derek Temple, in the Everton team that day, was an eye-witness: 

“We had lost that game. Bally played for Blackpool and he was on good form. There were quite a number of spectators who were upset because Harry Catterick had dropped Alex Young for Joe to make his debut. Alex was one of their favourites so they showed their displeasure to Harry. Getting on the coach afterwards, I was walking behind Harry when someone came from behind and tripped him. He did stumble but didn't fall; then he got on the coach quickly. There was a big thing made about it but the story that came out covered up a loss; so perhaps it was political really.”

Derek, having been injured for most of the Championship season of 1962-63, had won back the Number 11 shirt from Johnny Morrissey. Originally a central forward, the long-serving player was never a classical winger as he explains: “Joe Royle recently made an interesting point to me: ‘You weren't a winger — you were a goal-scorer and striker.' And that was probably true. Harry Catterick didn't say to me how to play — he just put Number 11 on my back. As far as I was concerned, my job was to play at left wing but if I didn't see much of the ball, I was inclined to go looking for it. From being a schoolboy, I always knew where the goal was — I could always hit the target.

Article continues below video content

3rd Round — 22 January: Everton 3 Sunderland 0

A bruised Harry Catterick reverted to his most experienced line-up for the cup encounter at home to Sunderland. Alex Young was restored in place of Joe Royle whilst young goalkeeper Geoff Barnett made way for Gordon West. A comfortable win was given added gloss by two late goals. Jack Rowe reported on the 3-0 victory:

Everton controlled so much of the play and delivered so many threats that it was remarkable that they were only ahead by Temple's goal, after 36 minutes, for so long. Scott and Temple did some scintillating things; Scott, in particular, had a rampant afternoon. Scott did the work and made the centre from which Temple headed in off the post for the first goal.

Four minutes before the end Pickering hit such a first time great shot from about 20 yards... that it was in the net before Montgomery could move. Young scored another beauty with a minute left with a control and shot which illustrated what a fine player he can be. The undeniable fact is that when he is the forward line there is a touch of class and Young showed it, not once, but half a dozen times.

Derek recalls: “It was a routine win — we were getting into some good form around that time. In those days there were teams that you should beat and we generally did. We were normally quite good at home — it was not a fortress but we could beat most top teams; we were classed among them of course with the money that had been spent.”

4th Round - 12 February: Bedford Town 0 Everton 3  

The 4th Round draw dished up the archetypal banana skin with a visit to non-league Bedford. However, in the event, a Derek Temple brace was complimented by Fred Pickering heading home a Tommy Wright cross after the defender was freed down the flank by Scott.

Derek remembers: “I think Bedford were in the Southern League and were quite a good League then. We used to discuss teams before games at training and Harry was adamant that they were a top class side and could be in the Second Division. So he built it up that we weren't going there for a walkover and it worked out. They tried to kick us a little bit but we had a few players that could sort that out. It was another routine win. I got on the end of two Scottie crosses — one a header and the other a side-footer.

The press reported:

Scott and Temple are, at present, at the peak of their form and it was this double-edged weapon which blasted Bedford from the competition. Town could not hold Scott, no matter how hard they tried, and when he cleared the defence with a centre from the touchline, in raced Temple to head the ball downwards into the net on 37 minutes.

Six minutes later Temple increased the advantage from another Scott centre: Derek swept the ball into the net with an ease which showed just how far out of their depth these gallant non-leaguers were.

5th Round — 5 March: Everton 3 Coventry City 0

Jimmy Hill had talked up the chances of this second-tier outfit before the tie but, despite the Royal Blues being described by Horace Yates as not at their peak, the Sky Blues (playing in their change, red, kit) were no match. Yates noted: They were far too good for a side so lacking attacking punch. The withdrawal of Ray Pointer, their most effective forward, to a defensive role, was akin to cup-tie suicide.

With Wright injured, Sandy Brown came in at right-back and formed, according to Yates, a formidable pair, with Ray Wilson. Brian Labone was singled out for his flawless display:

No tribute to Labone can be too great. He was so tremendously efficient, aided and abetted as he was by a mobile and industrious Harris. Labone dominated everything in the air and anticipated everything on the ground.

On thirteen minutes, Alex Young, playing as a foil to Fred Pickering, hit the opener. Yates reported: Young's resolution took him to Scott's cross a shade in front of Farmer. By direction, rather than power, Young shot past the goalkeeper who was vainly trying to regain his feet… It was not only the opening goal he claimed that undermined Young's worth… there was real class about much of his constructive endeavour.

With 69 minutes on the clock, Derek Temple continued his fine scoring run:  Pickering won a duel in the air with Curtis to send the ball invitingly into the penalty area... the winger had it under control immediately and slipped his shot wide of the advancing Wesson.

Then, with full time approaching, Pickering was rewarded for his efforts by scoring the third goal: Scott returned a clearance to the middle for the centre-forward to hit the ball powerfully and precisely into goal.

Horace Yates, peering at the tea-leaves at the bottom of his Goodison press-room cuppa, declared:  Everton Can Go All The Way to The Final

Quarter Final — 26 March: Manchester City 0 Everton 0 The quarter final draw saw a tricky trip to Maine Road to take-on Joe Mercer's Manchester City, then a physical Second Division outfit. The nil-nil result was declared in the Daily Post as: Mission accomplished, without power players Jimmy Gabriel and Fred Pickering. By this time Fred Pickering had started to experience knee problems which would bring heartache at the season's finale.

Replay — 29 March: Everton 0 Manchester City 0

For the replay Pickering, but not Gabriel, returned but could not inspire his team to victory. The attritional match ended goal-less, in spite of 30 minutes of extra time being played.

2nd Replay — 5 April: Everton 2 Manchester City 0 (at Molineux)

A neutral venue was selected for the second replay a week later. From the whistle City stormed out of the blocks, battering Everton with attacking intent. Pardoe, on City's right flank, was well-marshalled by Ray Wilson but Neil Young (often unfairly cast in the shadow of Summerbee, Bell and Lee — much like John Morrissey with Everton's Holy Trinity) gave Tommy Wright a testing time on the opposite flank. Having peppered the Everton goal for 37 minutes, City were caught with a sucker-punch when Derek Temple crashed home past Dowd from an Alex Scott free-kick.  Minutes later Pickering, set up by Brian Harris, swivelled and struck in off the bar.  Everton were able to see out the second half without too many alarms.

Alex Young scores in the Fifth Round replay at Molineux

Derek recounts: “City started off like they were on drugs — they were buzzing. In the first 25 minutes they were well on top and then it changed. Goals change games, of course, and I was fortunate enough to knock one in. We got a free-kick out on the right side and everybody lined up.  I would keep out and come round the edge of the box. I ended up on the corner of the six-yard box — Scotty crossed in a good ball and it came right across me. I was going to head it but I slipped on my right foot so I volleyed it with my left and it flew in. Fred scored after that and we won 2-0. It was hard going but we managed it — then we started wondering if our name was on the cup.”

Semi-Final — 23 April: Everton 1 Manchester United 0 (at Burnden Park, Bolton)

Having overcome the blue half of Manchester, Everton took on the red half in the semi-final.  The Blues received censure (and a £2,000 fine) for fielding a weakened side the previous weekend against Leeds United, in anticipation of the big cup tie. Despite this respite, Harry Catterick erred on the side of caution with Fred Pickering's troublesome knee. With John Morrissey unwell, the manager plumped for Mike Trebilcock who had lined-up at Elland Road. The light-weight Cornishman came in as an inside forward, with Alex Young reverting to centre-forward.

Pickering was understandably frustrated about his omission as he told the press:  “Last Wednesday I had a tremendous try-out and came through in great style…When the boss told me I was out — that he could not afford to take the chance of a break-down — I could have cried. In calmer moments, I realised Mr Catterick was right. To have saddled the lads with the risk of taking on United with ten men was unthinkable. I must use the remaining three games to prove that my knee is perfectly sound again.”   

The match was finely balanced and was decided by a goal after 79 minutes:

An onward flick to Temple by Young, probably his most accomplished move of the match, and the winger of whom so little had been seen, shocked a complacent defence with his startling speed. Into his stride immediately, he left two defenders trailing, he hopped inside to hoist the danger signal we know so well. Goal-bound as he was, he was quick to realise that Harvey was even better placed for a shot. Across went the ball to the incoming youngster. Resisting the temptation to lash the ball first time he coolly calculated his situation and then pulled his shot away from the desperately diving Gregg... Precision rather than power beat the goalkeeper's outstretched fingers and everybody knew that this was the goal that would take Everton to their cherished ambition — a long delayed appearance at Wembley.

Colin Harvey scores the goal that takes Everton to Wembley

Colin Harvey scores the goal that takes Everton to Wembley

In fact, with virtually the last kick of the game, Denis Law was inches from converting Nobby Stiles's cross-shot but Everton rode their luck to book their cup-final place. For Derek, this was the only round he which he did not score but he was delighted to have provided the assist for Colin Harvey. He recalls:

“United were probably favourites to win. George Best didn't play but they had Charlton, Law and all the other stars. It was a good game but it's the old thing — your name's on it. We didn't play badly and it was a very tight game.  1-0 was what it was going to be either way. Everton had not been to a final since 1933 when they won it. It was tremendous for us as it is true that the worst leg to lose in is the semi, having come all that way.”

FA Cup Final — 14 May: Everton 3 Sheffield Wednesday 2 (at the Empire Stadium, Wembley)

1966 FA Cup Final programme cover

Derek recalls the build-up to the big day. “We went down on the train on the Thursday. We stayed at Selsdon Park Hotel but wives and girlfriends, who travelled the next day, stayed somewhere else. Outside the hotel we could hear somebody hitting a golf ball with a wood. Crack! — a wonderful sound — it was Bernard Gallacher. There were plenty of good quality grass surfaces at the hotel for training which was nothing too heavy, it was just keeping us loose.”

On the Friday morning, the manager broke the news of his team selection to the squad. For Fred Pickering and Sandy Brown, the bulletin was devastating as they lost out to Tommy Wright and Mike Trebilcock. Derek recalls: “Although Fred played in the second quarter-final replay he wasn't fit — he'd hurt his knee and he was struggling. When he didn't play in the semi-final, Mike came in. For the final, Harry did not have any choice really. All the players knew that Fred really wasn't fit — it was a great shame for him but as a team you couldn't afford to carry anyone at Wembley.  Nerves get to you and I'm sure that Fred would have broken down on that turf. We were all desperately sorry for him.  The other question was whether Tommy Wright or Sandy Brown played at right-back and Harry plumped for Tommy. Sandy was a good man to have at the club, but Tommy was a better full-back. Scotty used to say ‘Harry's a gambler — and a lucky one'.

Pre-match the team headed for the stadium with Derek peering out of the coach window: “The coach journey to Wembley was tremendous. The fans were all in the same colours but you could tell which were the Everton fans — they let you know!”

A pensive Derek Temple prior to the 1966 Final

A pensive Derek Temple prior to the 1966 Final

Despite the Scouse supporters' optimism leading up to kick-off, a nerve shredding ninety minutes lay ahead. Derek takes us through the events on the pitch from his perspective:

“Sheffield Wednesday were the underdogs, we were firm favourites having trounced them in the league earlier on in the season. Man for man we were better but on the day it's about how you perform. We hadn't conceded a goal in all the rounds but then we conceded quite quickly at Wembley. Jim McCalliog struck the ball, Westy had it covered but it struck Ray Wilson's heal and went in the other corner — it was a stroke of bad luck.

“At half-time it was 1-0 with us still in it but then we went two down. But it's a funny thing that when you are two up and the opposition scores it puts pressure on you, even though you are still a goal ahead. We got one back and then very quickly equalised — Mike put them away very well.”

The Daily Post described Trebilcock's rapid brace thus:

Temple flicked it down, smack in front of the in-running Trebilcock. Trebilcock struck it first time and Springett was left groping as the ball whizzed into the bottom corner of the net, wide of his left hand... The equaliser came five minutes later when Everton were awarded a free-kick not far outside the penalty area. Scott took it and chipped the ball to the far side when Labone challenged with two Wednesday defenders. Trebilcock met it some fifteen yards out and, with a right-foot swerving shot taken on the half-volley, again left Springett groping in anguish. 

The game was now up for grabs as Derek recalls:

“Then it was ‘game on' and the next goal could be the winner. I was seeing a bit of the ball — working hard and trying to get openings. I was up against a good, quick, strong, player in Wilf Smith but I wandered to the inside-right position and he didn't follow me across. Colin Harvey hit a long ball and Gerry Young mis-trapped it. I was just running towards him in case the ball bobbled off his leg — you do it so many times in a game and maybe it comes off once in twenty times. Gerry was the last man as he was playing sweeper, so I was away.  I had time to weigh up all the options; I looked up and saw Springett was on the edge of the six-yard box.  He was a good goalie but he could not cover every spot. The ball came up just right at the edge of the box and I just picked the right corner. Bang! I hit it and it flew in. Then I could breathe a sigh of relief and get back to the centre circle. A few people have since said to me: ‘I thought that you hit it too early.' If so, it was a good job I mishit it!

“Wednesday weren't going to lie down and they did come at us but they were never anything to frighten us really. The time was played out — Jimmy Gabriel did a dance around the ball at the corner flag to use up time.”

Jack Rowe, in the Daily Post, hailed the final result as the finest fight-back in the history of Wembley. Adding: I put what happened even higher than 1953. Sheffield Wednesday were riding as high as any team could be and Everton with a bare 29 minutes left looked down and out.

Rowe also reported on the reaction of Everton's captain after collecting the trophy from Princess Margaret:

Labone had never walked around in a dream on or off the pitch but he was near to it when he came down the tunnel with the cup. Twice he said to me “Pinch me, Jack, just so I know that it's all true!” I obliged and he knew it was true all right. He said, “Team spirit did it — nothing else. This is the team a lot of people have been saying is all individuals, who have no spirit to fight. Perhaps this will convince everybody that we have team spirit.”

Looking back, Derek struggles to recall details of the afterglow of victory: “I don't remember much about after the game.  I remember meeting Princess Margaret before the game (I was very surprised how small she was) but not so much collecting my medal. A lot of it is lost on you due to the euphoria. It didn't really register that we'd won the cup until the next day when we were making our way home to Liverpool. I think most players felt the same way. There was a banquet afterwards at the Grosvenor House Hotel and our wives were booked in there — it was the time that we were reunited. It was a pleasant evening. Sam Chedgzoy had come over from Canada and Bill Dean, Billy Cooke, and Norman Greenhalgh were there.  I was thinking, then, that the 1933 final seemed ages ago. But here we are now and it's fifty years after the 1966 final — that's what amazes me.”

Not even the previous day's events could prepare the squad for the reception that was awaiting on Merseyside. Derek recalls:

“We travelled back by train to Allerton and had a bus tour to St George's Hall. That's when it hits you — I didn't know there were so many Evertonians in Liverpool. They seemed to be at every window of every house and on the streets. The civic reception was very good. One of the lads said, ‘Did you notice that Harry wouldn't let go of the trophy?' And I think that was true!

Despite the life-defining events of 14 May 1966, Derek has remained grounded in the subsequent half-century:

“I do still get stopped in the street — you could say that I have dined out on it a few times! It's nice for people to remember you for the good things. I always say that when my goal went in I was relieved because if I had missed I'd have been remembered for other things! I don't let it go to my head and take it all with a pinch of salt because it's what I was paid for.

“If you had a wish, to end up getting a Cup Final goal (which was one of three, I don't see it as the winner), that would be it. Scoring at Wembley was great for so many reasons — not least for the fans who supported us. So it was a great moment but, maybe being a little bit selfish, the pinnacle of my career was getting capped for England against West Germany in 1965. It was in Nuremburg and we won. To be capped for your country — you can't do much better than that.”

My Teammates — by Derek Temple

Gordon West: Westy was a first-class keeper. He'd come out for the ball and had a good pair of hands. He was quite agile too for a big, heavy, lad. Gordon was notoriously nervous before games and used to be sick but once he was out there he was alright.

Tommy Wright: Tommy was great. A popular player and he had a good run with England. He was a very good player: quick, a good tackler and hard to play against. He had bony knees and they'd get you in the thigh and give you a dead leg!

Ray Wilson: Ray was probably the best left-back in the world at that time. You never saw Ray go crunching into tackles — he wasn't big enough — he was only 10 stone stripped down. He was very light but quick and nimble. His main strength was reading the game, making interceptions and getting the danger cleared before it materialised. He was a good distributor of the ball as well.

Jimmy Gabriel: Jimmy was very good, a hard player and a typical Scot, really. I thought that all the Scottish footballers were tremendous characters. Jimmy was as hard as nails, he was only young when he came to us and got his fair share of kicks. He never complained but he weighed the player up and would get his own back eventually. If someone was kicking lumps out of you he would sort them out. But he wasn't just physical, he was a good footballer.

Brian Labone:  Labby was a one-off, he was like a Corinthian. Bobby Collins, who would kick anybody no matter what size, always used to be onto him: “Get the player into row Z” but that wasn't Labby's game: he'd sooner intercept the ball than tackle. For a centre-half he was a bit like John Stones in that he was cultured. He used to like to play football and a good centre-half. He was a well-educated lad: “The pen is mightier than the sword” was his favourite saying.

Brian Harris: A local boy from the Wirral — Brian had started as a winger but had dropped back. He was excellent and could play anywhere; he could tackle and was a good header of the ball. Having been a forward he could distribute the ball quite well too. He had plenty of energy and was very good for us as a player. Brian had not let anybody down — he would have been away (when Tony Kay arrived) but it was just the way Harry Catterick was thinking about the future. He had had a new lease of life from 1964 but it was a shame about Tony. 

Alex Scott: Alex was a big beefy lad on the wing but was quick for his size. If he got one on one with the full-back there was a fair chance that the ball was coming into the middle and I'd make tracks to get there. I would get goals from a yard out when he'd hit it in but I also scored headers. So Alex was very good for me, he crossed a good ball and I got a lot of goals from him.

Colin Harvey: Colin was the number 10 but he played deep — almost covering for anything loose in front of the centre-half and wing-halves. He could rotate and cover for them so they could come forward. A very good tackler, very fit and a very good footballer. He could spray passes around as well as anybody.

Mike Trebilcock: Mike could hit the net in training — he was a good finisher and you could see that he was always likely to score. He was only a slight lad — he was smaller than me — but he was quite quick and could seize an opportunity. He certainly did that at Wembley with the two goals.

Alex Young:  The Golden Vision had wonderful skill. He was not a big lad but had a tremendous spring and he was up there like a helicopter hovering — it was his timing. He had lovely touch and his control was brilliant. People didn't realise that he could look after himself. He was quite crafty and could put his foot in. As a bloke he was quiet, but what a footballer.

Fred Pickering: He was a converted full-back. For a big lad, Fred had good control and could lay it off. I never thought that he was the quickest on the field but he was quick to get a shot in and, invariably, it was accurate. He was a great finisher — we used to call him 'Boomer' because of the booming sound when he hit the ball.


Derek Temple

EFC Heritage Society

Billy Smith (for sourcing match reports)

Everton Results website (Steve Johnson)

Liverpool Daily Post

Follow @handforth70
Share article:

Reader Comments (58)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Eugene Ruane
1 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:01:52
Tony Hill
2 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:03:58
That semi-final was a tight one. Great piece, thanks to all.
Brian Williams
3 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:16:01
Shivers down my spine reading that. I was eight when we won the Cup that year. I remember being close to tears when we were two-nil down.

After the match, I was out playing on the local field until it went dark, replaying the game over and over again.

Christy Ring
4 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:21:03
I really enjoyed Rob's article, with Derek's input. Harry Catterick was years ahead of his time, the balance of his team perfect, with power and class, no sentiment whatsoever. The players he brought to the club were top drawer. You could see the influence on Howard Kendall .
Jay Harris
5 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:25:35
As a young lad in the Boys Pen in 1963 and Wembley in 1966, it didn't get much better (well... not util the '80s anyway).

The welcome home was incredible; I think there were over 250,000 at St George's Hall. Wall to wall at Lime Street.

I just wish some of the young Evertonians can experience it soon. For once I cannot get up any enthusiasm such is my disdain for Martinez but I really hope we do it for all those persevering Blues..

John Keating
6 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:26:07
I remember we managed to get down London Road – God knows how – about 3 hours before the team were due at St George's Hall. The crowds were unbelievable.

Finally we somehow got to the corner of Lime Street, just by the Legs of Man, just before the lads arrived. I had never seen anything like it before or since.

I don't know how many people could be crammed in Lime Street and up London Road – I suppose Ranleigh and Renshaw Streets would have been the same. I remember seeing my mates and cousins later and a load of them had followed the bus from Allerton and couldn't get anywhere near Lime Street.

Brilliant days and a brilliant team.

Great piece, Rob. Well done!

Don Alexander
7 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:26:28
That brought back good memories.... apart from when 11-year-old me burst into tears when Wednesday went two-up!
Martin Nicholls
9 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:33:03
I missed Bedford and the second replay against Man City but got to the rest. The Final ticket came courtesy of program vouchers, the scarcest of which was from the Fulham game.

Great experience, great memories, great article. Thanks to Rob and Derek for putting it together.

Sue Brown
10 Posted 30/03/2016 at 21:44:02
What a great read, thanks!

I remember watching the game on TV... Oh for those 3 o'clock kick-off times on a Saturday, special cup final days, the build-up starting a week before, Dad still trying to decide whether to drive down or get the train.

My memory is playing tricks with me, I always had it in my head that it was Alex Young playing the ball around the corner flag, not Jimmy Gabriel, but there you go...

I do remember the homecoming though, we were right outside St George's Hall, brilliant. Wouldn't it be great to do it again 50 years on?
Andrew Clare
11 Posted 30/03/2016 at 22:10:47
I was thirteen and my Dad took me to the 2nd replay at Molyneux against Man City. The atmosphere was terrific, Evertonians everywhere around the ground.

I remember West making a string of fantastic saves as Man City tried to get back in the game. Alex Scott was outstanding.

I watched the final on TV. Great days.

Jay Wood
12 Posted 30/03/2016 at 22:16:46
Another top read, Rob – and special thanks to Derek also.

My favourite extract from the piece is from the 4th round tie away to Bedford, Derek's very understated comment: "They tried to kick us a little bit but we had a few players that could sort that out."

Oh for some of that fight – and guile – in today's team.

Bill Gall
14 Posted 30/03/2016 at 23:11:26
I remember getting my ticket for the final on the Thursday, went down by car with four other lads only two of them came back with us... still don't remember what happened to the other two, last time I seen them they were in the fountain I think it was Trafalgar square.

Emotions after the final whistle are hard to describe but at even 2 goals down we never expected to lose, it was just the person who scored the 2 goals was unexpected. Mike Trebilcock we knew as he came into the Broadway pub a couple of times with some of the people I believe he was lodging with. The icing on the cake was he appeared in the Broadway a few days after the final and just carried on as normal.

Kevin Tully
15 Posted 30/03/2016 at 23:51:11
Jay (#5) – I have to say, I find your outlook really difficult to get my head around. Let me just say this, the manager and players like Lukaku will be gone soon enough.

However, I hope another historic FA Cup win in 2016 will still stir great memories in 50 years, just like the '66 final we are discussing on this very thread.

I'm guessing all the awful moments of this season will disappear into the footballing ether if Jagielka hoists that shiny trophy high above his head come May 21st. I certainly won't be thinking about a transient manager for hire if me & my boy get to share a wonderful moment at Wembley, and neither should any Evertonian.

Andy Crooks
16 Posted 30/03/2016 at 23:57:56
Just brilliant stuff. Thank you.
Dick Fearon
17 Posted 31/03/2016 at 00:35:51
An overloaded Vauxhall station wagon... Being the youngest, me and Joe Kelly in the back doling out bottles of beer and pies. Driver was George Kelly, Joe's teetotal brother. A fantastic though very blurry weekend.

While the cup was being paraded in Lime Street we were mentally and physically shattered and recovering our senses in a pub somewhere near Silverstone race track.

Dave McCoy
18 Posted 31/03/2016 at 00:37:38
"Everton at Wembley two-nil down, Treblecock & Temple brought the cup to the town."

What a wonderful time.

Jack Mason
19 Posted 31/03/2016 at 00:42:11
Excellent and a great article to give everyone a lift before the semi-final.
Mark Andersson
20 Posted 31/03/2016 at 01:18:53
Great read, I was 5 years old sat on my dad's shoulders in Scotland Road to see the bus go by. Thousands in the street, it was a incredible day.

Has this team got enough fighting spirit to go all the way??? It's time they realized they can be a part of history and man up for two games. They showed against Chelsea what they're capable of; more of the same, please.

Peter Mills
21 Posted 31/03/2016 at 08:14:48
I was fortunate enough, as a 10-year-old, to attend 5 of these games, including the semi-final and the final.

These are the occasions that are seared into your memory about football, the great days, being there with your dad and his mates, and your own mates. Remembering the feeling of seeing Brian Labone (and Kevin Ratcliffe and Dave Watson) lifting that FA Cup keeps you going year after year in the hope of seeing it one more time.

Thanks Rob, and thanks Derek.

Darren Hind
22 Posted 31/03/2016 at 08:46:29
Fantastic article.

I often wonder which is the greatest moment, seeing an Everton captain lift the cup at Wembley, or the parade through the city the next day.

They'll have to do it all again so I can decide...

Alan J Thompson
23 Posted 31/03/2016 at 09:33:41
15 years old, near in tears at 0-2. Then one and what seemed a quickly followed second. Then, what makes Derek Temple a legend, an unforgettable goal! Euphoria, Utopia, you fucken betcha!
Jim Hourigan
24 Posted 31/03/2016 at 10:09:22
Fabulous memories – going down to Wembley in my dad's Morris Minor with uncles and aunts and me in the back, no seat just squatting in the back with all the butties. The car all decked out in blue ribbons and rosettes that my auntie and made, and all the blues on the motorway. The match is a blur – I was only 10 – but I do remember being passed down to the front and sitting on the dog track against the wall.
Chris Williams
25 Posted 31/03/2016 at 10:29:00
Wonderful evocative report and memories of a great day. First time since 1933. Roller-coaster, typical Everton, never do it easy, but sweet, sweet ending.

Big lad invading the pitch leaving half a dozen of the Metropolitan Scuffers finest labouring in his wake. Brian Harris wearing a Bobby's helmet telling them to go easy on the lad. My dad with tears in his eyes, something I never saw ever again. Dads didn't do that then.

A great time to be an Evertonian in a city that was at the centre of the universe for a brief moment.

Dave Abrahams
26 Posted 31/03/2016 at 10:47:33
What a great weekend that was, a good drink in The Leprechaun in Attle Street, 48 on the coach, five with tickets. The coach started off, three fights on it before we got to the end of Walton Hall Avenue, all sorted out with handshakes all round.

A great victory with Eddie Kavanagh leading the police a merry dance. Eddie had been on Everton's books so was well known to a few of the players. Only about 20 came back on the coach, a great night in Hemel Hempstead, a new town.

Back in Liverpool, the streets crowded, you couldn't move, yet Johnny Cairns (Jackie Hamilton the comedian) and Denny Dutton, his brother Frankie, and a few more from the Scotland Road area led a donkey, painted blue and white complete with rosette, into The Wine Lodge in Great Charlotte Street. Even the Liverpudlians were laughing. I don't know who took the donkey home.

We don't win things all that often but, when we do, we know how to celebrate; roll on May.

Ian Glassey
27 Posted 31/03/2016 at 13:35:13
It seems like yesterday I got in with half a ticket stub thrown down by somebody half-way up the stairs, and of course a few pound hidden under it.

I was 17 years old and had never been to London before, what a day and what a night. We ended up in a strip club in Soho sitting on the floor singing Everton songs, happy days.

It's about time we did it again... I will give the strip club a miss this time, COYB.

David S Shaw
28 Posted 31/03/2016 at 13:49:10
Great article. ToffeeWeb at it's best!
Sue Brown
29 Posted 31/03/2016 at 14:00:17
David Shaw, what I remember from the commentary is Kenneth Wolstenholme repeatedly saying "the cup is certainly going to Sheffield, their name is on it", and the disappointment in his voice when Trebilcock smashed it in for our first. Commentators hated us as much then.
Matt Traynor
30 Posted 31/03/2016 at 14:47:54
Sue, pretty sure a regular contributor here, Neil, is Kenneth's grandson, or great nephew. He's certainly a Blue!
Eric Owen
31 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:01:25
I wasn't at Wembley ‘66 but my Dad was. At that time I lived in Canada.

He was 72 at the time and while he had never ever been to London he also had never set foot inside Liverpool's ground. He had always watched our lads since around 1910, the first team one week, the reserves the next week; ‘Under the Clock' as he later used to say to me. His philosophy was you had to support the younger lads as they were our future.

I emigrated to Canada in 1957 and before I left England I made sure he had a permanent season ticket in the Bullens Road Stand. Then came the '66 Cup Final and as a surprise I got a Wembley ticket and sent it to him with the train fare to London.

He was awestruck. My Mam told me he started worrying how he would get to Wembley; but little did he know he was going there with a friend. So off they went.

My Dad talked about that game for the rest of his life and, sad as it may seem, it was the last game he ever saw, but obviously for him, it was enough as he replayed it time after time; both to me and in his head. I still have the program he sent to me.

It was him who took me to see Dixie bring home the Cup in 1933.

Thanks, Dad, for introducing me to Everton and the Old Lady.

David S Shaw
32 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:15:29
Eric Owen – brilliant read that! Were you old enough to remember much of the 1933 homecoming? Did you get the chance to go the match much in the 30s? If so, what do you remember of it? Did your Dad pass on any of his experiences of going the match too?
Dave Abrahams
33 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:24:51
Eric (#31), great story. Growing up in the forties and fifties, if I didn't go to see Everton away, I went to Liverpool at home or Everton Reserves at Goodison Park.

What funny characters the support were at the reserve matches, they would have the opposition a nervous wreck.

In one game, they were playing Preston North End Reserves and they had a player called Potts; every time he took a corner, this auld fella was down by the flag screaming at him "Potts, Potts, Potts and Pans"!

In the end, this poor player said to him, "Will you fuck off and let me take the bleeding Corners in peace!?" Happy and funny days.

David Booth
34 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:25:47
This was the game that made me an Evertonian.

Gerry Morrison
35 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:35:23
A great read and great memories. Thanks.
Paul Thompson
36 Posted 31/03/2016 at 16:48:39
Interspersing the story with Derek's comments worked a treat – many thanks. I can't remember whether I went to every game in the cup run, but I do remember (as a 15-year-old) going to Bedford, no doubt without a ticket. As you can imagine, it was a tiny ground and our end had no cover. I was concerned we'd get beat, but in the end it was very comfortable.

Some of Derek's observations about his teammates were fascinating. Alex Scott on the right wing was not the most skillful player, but boy could he cross a ball – the best I ever saw in a blue shirt until Dave Thomas.

It frustrates me no end when some of the modern more skillful players beat a man, get to the by-line then can't cross the bloody thing. Anyway, thanks again for the great read and reminder.

Paul Andrews
37 Posted 31/03/2016 at 17:03:33
Goosebumps and cold shiver down my neck reading this.

Had to choke a tear away at Eric Owen's post.

Tom Bowers
38 Posted 31/03/2016 at 17:05:52
A tremendous piece and what memories I have of that team. I saw every game and not a goal against until the Final. Catterick had the defensive side of things down to a fine art and even Man City had 3 cracks and couldn't score.

Scoring against that great Man Utd team with 11 minutes to go was probably the only way to beat them as they had very little time left to come back (unlike the present squad).The scenes walking back to the train station in Bolton where the best I ever saw.

The Wolverhampton butcher, Jack Taylor, was a poor referee and didn't help in the Final so the Blues had to help themselves and what a way to do it coming from 2 goals down. I had the film for years and played it over and over on a Super 8 projector until it was worn out.

Peter Cummings
39 Posted 31/03/2016 at 17:54:56
I was privileged to be there on that memorable day when we came back from 2-0 down to beat a very good 'Owls' team and take the Cup. Both goals by Mike Trebilcock and Derek's winner were fantastic strikes and sent Everton's fans into raptures.,Eddie Kavanagh cavorting over the turf leaving a trail of London cops struggling to take him down.

We left Kirkby (Tower Hill) in the early hours clutching our precious, black market, ten bob, tickets, which cost us eight quid each, in my ancient (uninsured) Ford Prefect onto the East Lancs Road and into a seemingly endless tide of Blue and White festooning every vehicle with horns blaring and flags waving. Not being sure if my old banger would make it all the way to the end of the M1, we resolved, if necessary to thumb our way there,

To my amazement, the old girl never missed a beat as we passed many broken down casualties and dozens of 'thumbers' along the way. We parked about a mile away from the Wembley Way and into the turnstiles finding out that, unknown to us, our tickets were for the Sheffield end of the stadium.

The rest of that fantastic afternoon became a blur of despair and ecstasy as we first thought there was no way back from 2-0 down then realised our dream was coming true as Derek Temple hammered the winner home,

The Everton - Sheffield Wednesday Final was without question the greatest of them all for sheer excitement. Drama, Spectacle, Guts and Glory... only the World Cup win in the same year or the 'Mathews Final' comes close. Even the following finals v West Brom, Watford and United (twice) never generated the same euphoria as '66 did in my opinion, and I was fortunate to see them all.

As a footnote, Jim Hourigan (#34), I think I have a snap of your Dad's Morris Minor going to the ground with it's Blue/White stripes, Happy Day, Eh??

Colin Glassar
40 Posted 31/03/2016 at 18:04:28
This is probably my earliest memory of an Everton game. Watching it in front of an old Radio Rentals B&W telly. I was in tears at half time but, after we equalised, I went out into street and started playing footy with a few mates so I missed the winning goal. Needless to say, I was chuffed to bits and proud as a peacock.
Tony Abrahams
41 Posted 31/03/2016 at 19:52:00
Brilliant read, and look at the date of that semi-final, from 50 years ago!
Tom Evans
42 Posted 31/03/2016 at 21:02:23
And the Kopite Gobshites running down Lime Street as the crowds gathered. They had got their hands on one of the barriers and we're running abreast chanting 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4, 5-0.

Cheeky bastards, trying to piss on our parade. They failed!

Peter Laing
43 Posted 31/03/2016 at 21:25:27
Being 41 years old, this game was obviously before my time but still seared into the memory from a very young age. I didn't know the opponents or the scores in the run up to the Cup Final but have learned one fact today – we didn't concede a goal along the way. I'm not usually one for omens or superstition but we haven't let a goal in on this Cup run either.
James Royston
44 Posted 31/03/2016 at 21:30:09
Saw every game... nearly got sacked for having a "sickie" for the Man City replays.

Eight of us went to Wembley with six tickets; one got through our legs at the turnstile while the other used a few pound notes as a ticket – you could get away with that in them days. Once inside, you had to come out of the pens for toilets, it was so easy two went out with four stubs and all came back in showing the stubs.

Great day. To top it off, I was then a steward (via the Supporters Club) for all the World Cup games at Goodison Park.

Rob Sawyer
45 Posted 31/03/2016 at 21:34:22
Thanks to Derek Temple for his invaluable input for this article. It has been great to read of supporters' own memories of that weekend in May 1966.

Ronny Goodlass has laid on a tribute night for Derek on 6 May in aid of the Health Through Sport charity. Details about tickets etc are here:


Jim Gore
46 Posted 31/03/2016 at 22:02:15
Ian Glassey (#27)...

Are you the Ian Glassey I used to get the football specials with from Lee Park around 1959-1961?

Neil Cremin
47 Posted 31/03/2016 at 22:08:59
As a young lad in Ireland (where everybody supported Man Utd), I wanted to follow another team. I fluttered a little bit with Burnley but then watched the 1966 FA Cup Final live on Irish TV and picked Everton to support for that match.

Maybe I was jinxed but Everton went 0-2 down. At that time there was only one TV channel available in Ireland so there was also a classic horse race on the same day; to please all sports fans, RTE switched to the horse race in the middle of the match...

When they returned to the Cup Final, I couldn't believe that the score was 2-2 with Everton going on to win the match and win a devoted fan ever since. Happy Anniversary to me, 50 years an Evertonian and the roller coaster ride that support brings.

Steve Wissett
48 Posted 31/03/2016 at 23:10:07
My Father always recounted that the noise from the Everton fans that day matched the Bayern night years later.

At the end of the National Anthem the Everton fans continued with an extra verse of "God Save our Gracious Team, Long Live our noble Team" and the rest of the stadium stood waited for them to finish, thinking we were continuing the national anthem!

Sure enough years later I got a copy of the 1966 Cup Final LP and you can clearly hear this with the commentators making special mention of it.

Never happened since, COYB

Christine Foster
49 Posted 01/04/2016 at 02:02:20
Dave Abrahams (#26), my goodness me, the Duttons and Johnny Cairns were close family friends of my Mum and Dad who a few years later became licencees of The Wedding House in Pownall Square off Tithebarn Street. Many a night of lock-ins and music with Peter McGovern and Bob Ramsey ensued. Great days indeed...
Peter Fearon
50 Posted 01/04/2016 at 04:24:21
I am proud to say I was at every round with my Dad – except for the final, which I attended alone because only one of us could get a ticket and he was the kind of Dad who put his sons first. I was 14 and I still remember every detail of those matches – especially that Number 11 shirt getting smaller and smaller as he bore down on the Wednesday goal at the far end of Wembley. Maybe it's our year again!
Rick Tarleton
51 Posted 01/04/2016 at 07:44:07
My favourite match, I've still got the program. I remember, I was 19 at the time, singing my head off "Attack, Attack, Attack" as we came back. Got drowned in the Trafalgar Square fountain after the game.

Derek Temple had been a hero since I'd seen him as a Liverpool schoolboy (Dovecote was his school, I think) in 1955.

A wonderful day and a great Everton team. Wilson, Labone, Young, Gabriel, Harvey... we've had few better in my time.

Tony Abrahams
52 Posted 01/04/2016 at 08:41:25
A trip down memory lane, Christine, especially for Dave, who was probably that Donkey!!
Dave Abrahams
53 Posted 01/04/2016 at 08:50:28
Christine (#49), you are bringing back memories of the Wedding House, one of the first pubs to sell Aussie White, to keep the customers from going to the wine lodges. Cairnsie and the Duttons, great company, your parents must have had permanent grins on their faces.
Peter Laing
54 Posted 01/04/2016 at 09:43:23
Dave / Christine,

My Mother grew up in Gerrard Gardens and my Grandfather's sister was married to one of the Dutton's (Stevie Dutton?). I have heard the same stories and it must have been a regular occurrence as I've heard that they also brought a pig into the Swan (London Road) and Peppers (Commutation Row) on another occasion.

Christine Foster
55 Posted 01/04/2016 at 09:56:35
Dave, many a morning mopping out and bringing the cases up from the cellar before opening at 11:30 for the railway men from Exchange Station. First through the door would be Barney Riley... It was a proper Liverpool pub, one in which men and women laughed and cried but always had a smile.

Funny thing was I remember having to go to Cearns and Brown in Sandhills to buy the cases of Aussie White as the brewery, Tetleys, wouldn't sell it to you!

But as a kid I would stand on the landing in Portland Gardens on match night and you could hear the crowd cheer and even inside you knew when Everton had scored. The noise came right down the valley and along Scotland road..

Alan J Thompson
56 Posted 01/04/2016 at 10:26:37
Reading on, I realize I can't remember how long there was to go when Derek scored but you just knew Westy, Labby and the boys wouldn't be letting anything through from there on in.
Dave Abrahams
58 Posted 01/04/2016 at 15:01:22
Christine, talk about the good old days, well they were for me and I bet hundred of others who lived in those times.

Another unique thing about the Wedding House was in the early sixties – the pub only had one toilet for both sexes so when the girls went in they always left one girl outside on douse, just in case!!!

Peter, there were a few Dutton brothers, all entertainers: Christy is still going, a good singer. The things they got up to were legendary: one time, they went upstairs in The Legs of Man and were refused a drink because you had to wear a tie upstairs, so they all went back the next night with ties on – just ties, no shirts. I could go on and on, me and my mate met Johnny Cairns in the cells in Cheapside one Sunday morning, nothing serious – just drunk and disorderly (so the police said), I'll keep the rest of the story for another day but it was hilarious!!!

Robert Workman
59 Posted 01/04/2016 at 15:20:33
I can also remember Kenneth Wolstenholme saying that Everton were "out on their feet" at 0-2! Just what I needed to hear, as if I wasn't upset enough. He was never popular in our household. I remember my father, who never swore, calling him a "twit" on more than one occason!
Dave Abrahams
60 Posted 01/04/2016 at 15:43:29
Back to the match, on the Wednesday night Danny Blanchflower, the old Spurs player, did a summary and prediction on Sportsnight edited by Peter Dimmock.

Danny finished by saying "Well, for me, it's Everton for the Cup and Wednesday for the middle of the week." And sure enough at the final there was a large banner with those same words written on it.

Then, on the morning of the game, in one of the papers, Dixie Dean predicting Sheffield Wednesday would win the Cup; as Dixie explained, "I've never been right in my life when picking a winner, so I'm going for Sheffield".

Andy Meighan
61 Posted 01/04/2016 at 22:13:51
Absolutley brilliant. I was only 7 at the time so obviously my memories are clouded. Ive been privileged to meet Mr Temple (as I called him). And he loved that. What a gentleman.

But what about Eric's (#31) story. Fantastic. What a different game it is now; compare our players now and then. These mercenaries now wouldn't give you the time of day. Well they would if you paid them but, rant aside, I loved this piece.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© Rob Sawyer with Derek Temple. All rights reserved.