Do You Remember December 4th?

Patrick Murphy 01/12/2016 0comments  |  Jump to last
On 4th December 2013, Sunday's visitors to Goodison Park, Manchester United, were left red- faced as Roberto Martinez achieved with his Everton team what United's manager at the time, David Moyes, failed to achieve during his reign as Everton boss, namely to manage an Everton win at Old Trafford.

Brian Oviedo was the hero on the night as he sneaked in at the far post to convert with only four minutes remaining on the clock. Not since the opening week of the Premier League era had Evertonians left Old Trafford celebrating a league victory.

Proud Everton manager Roberto Martinez speaking to the BBC after the game said "I couldn't be prouder. We never felt inferior we kept doing what we are good at. I have always felt this squad was capable of going anywhere and playing teams eye to eye. "The second half performance was a lot better. We had real composure in the final third. I thought it showed a real indication of what can be achieved but we have done nothing yet. We need to carry on improving and prove we can perform like that anywhere in the league. "We have got a fantastic blend of experience and arrogant young players and that excites me."
Everton: Howard; Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Oviedo; McCarthy, Barry; Pienaar (Osman), Barkley (Deulofeu), Mirallas (Naismith); Lukaku.
Unused Subs Robles, Heitinga, Stones, Jelavić

Two years earlier, Everton had succumbed to defeat at Goodison Park, against one of their favourite opponents - in terms of results at any rate - when Robert Huth headed home the only goal of the game to end a winless streak at Goodison, for the visitors, that had stretched back to 1981, when Adrian Heath had scored in the 78th minute to take all the points back to the Potteries.

The latest home defeat meant that Stoke City leapfrogged Everton in the table as both sides sat in midfield obscurity. Everton Boss David Moyes told the BBC following the match “I thought the referee [Lee Mason] had a poor game."It is not the reason for our loss - far from it because that was down to our inability to make and take chances. "But there was a lot going on in the box and we got very little of it."We hadn't done an awful lot wrong and we found ourselves a goal down. "I don't think we deserved to be behind in the game but we had to go chasing it."What wins games is goals and they got the goal and we didn't."

Before the Stoke City match, Everton paid tribute to former player and fan Gary Speed who had tragically died the previous Sunday. The Welsh anthem was played and was followed by a minute's applause during which Speed's father Roger and some of his former Goodison team-mates were greeted on the pitch.

David Moyes taking charge of his 400th match as Everton boss rang the changes as he looked for a positive reaction at Stamford Bridge in 2009, following the home defeat (1-4) by West Brom the previous week.

Everton started the game fairly well and had a good opportunity in the opening minute but Louis Saha failed to convert the chance. Chelsea huffed and puffed for most of the opening half and Everton rode their luck on occasion, but four minutes from half-time Didier Drogba converted the penalty which was awarded when Tim Howard brought down Anelka, following a suicidal back pass from Phillip Neville. Everton played their way back into the game in the second period with the lively Leighton Baines causing the Chelsea defence plenty of problems and it was Baines who created the equaliser when he went on a weaving run and sent a teasing cross to the far post that Cahill headed back across goal for Beckford to score with four minutes of normal time left. For Everton boss Moyes it was another satisfying trip to west London - this was the fifth consecutive season in which the Goodison Park outfit had left Stamford Bridge with a point.

Everton also visited Stamford Bridge in 2002 as they attempted to reach the Quarter-finals of the League Cup in front of the Sky cameras. But goals from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 26, Emmanuel Petit 44, Mario Stanić 69 and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 71 ended any Wembley league cup dreams for the Toffees, Gary Naysmith’s goal in the 80th minute was a mere consolation. Wayne Rooney had his penalty pushed round the post by Cudicini, and Naysmith struck from the resultant corner.
Everton: Wright; Pistone, Unsworth; Weir, Yobo, Pembridge (Naysmith); Gravesen, Radzinski, Campbell, Rooney, Tie (Gemmill)
Subs not used: Simonsen, Stubbs, Hibbert

Everton fell to Leeds United by the same scoreline at the same stage of the competition [then known as the Rumbelows Cup] at Goodison Park in 1991. Ray Atteveld opened the scoring for Everton but Gary Speed equalised for Leeds, just seven minutes later. Lee Chapman gave the visitors the lead shortly before half-time and Rod Wallace scored twice within a minute early in the second period, to send the Yorkshire side through to the last eight.

David Moyes’ Everton were riding high in the league when Sam Allardyce’s Bolton Wanderers visited Goodison Park in 2004. The Evertonians in the crowd of circa 35k witnessed an action packed match, and a positive result as the Toffees won by the odd goal in five.

Kevin Davies fired Bolton in front early on but Duncan Ferguson's powerful header gave Everton an equaliser on the stroke of half-time. Davies restored Bolton's lead with a header but Thomas Gravesen's twice-taken free-kick put Everton level before Jaidi diverted Leon Osman's shot into his own net as Everton twice came from behind to seal a dramatic win.

Everton: Martyn, Hibbert, Stubbs, Weir, Pistone, Carsley, Gravesen, Cahill (Osman 69), Kilbane (McFadden 69), Ferguson (Yobo 86), Bent. Subs not used: Wright, Watson.

In 2000, Peter Reid’s Sunderland went up to sixth place in the Premiership with an emphatic victory over Walter Smith’s Everton. Sunderland had three players in their line-up with Everton connections, Kevin Kilbane, John Oster and Gavin McCann.

A stunning first-half goal from Alex Rae on the stroke of half-time and a clinical finish from Kevin Phillips after the interval gave the Black Cats the victory that their performance warranted. Phillips and his lanky foil Niall Quinn tormented Everton's defence throughout the game and could have added several more goals to the scoreline.

Everton manager Walter Smith said after the game that Everton got exactly what they deserved from the game – nothing!
Everton: Gerrard, Steve Watson, Weir, Campbell, Hughes, Pembridge, Ball, Naysmith, Gemmill (Nyarko), Cadamarteri (Max-Moore), Tal (Gravesen).
Unused Subs: Simonsen, Unsworth.

Another trip to Old Trafford in 1999, resulted in a heavy defeat for the Toffees, despite having taken the lead thanks to Francis Jeffers beating the substitute keeper Van Der Goow, following an injury to Mark Bosnich. With David Beckham, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole all on the bench, the goal was the perfect start for the visitors. The reigning European Champions took Everton to task as the goal marked the beginning of the end for Everton as their promising start quickly turned into an Old Trafford nightmare.

The Blues continually struggled to maintain possession. United, in contrast, were in superb form despite the recent travels - many were expecting the United players to be suffering from jet-lag after their trip to Japan - with Teddy Sheringham, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes finding Solskjaer at every opportunity.

It was textbook football of the very highest quality and the Norwegian striker proved the perfect choice to punish Walter Smith's side. Dennis Irwin equalised for United midway through the first-half via the penalty spot and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer put United ahead three minutes later. The Norwegian extended the home side’s lead shortly before half-time and bagged his hat-trick seven minutes into the second period. Shortly before the hour mark the United forward made it five for United and four for himself.

Walter Smith was heard to say about Everton’s performance “I can't imagine any worse defending unless I think back to the Boys Brigade”

Man Utd: Bosnich (Van Der Gouw), G. Neville, Stam, Silvestre (P. Neville), Irwin, Scholes, Butt, Keane, Giggs (Cole), Sheringham, Solskjaer.
Unused Subs: Beckham and Yorke.

Everton: Gerrard, Dunne (Ball), Weir, Gough, Unsworth, Barmby (Cleland), Xavier, Collins, Pembridge (Grant), Jeffers, Campbell.
Unused Subs: Simonsen and Jevons.

Back in 1993, Tony Cottee struck the only goal of the game in the 35th minute, for mid table Everton against lowly Southampton, in front of a paltry crowd of some 13,000 at Goodison.
Everton: Southall; Jackson, Watson, Snodin, Ablett; Ward (Warzycha), Ebbrell, Horne, Beagrie; Stuart, Cottee

Not very remarkable you may think, if you were a casual observer, but following the game, Howard Kendall resigned his position as manager of Everton FC, thus setting in motion one of the darkest era’s in Everton’s history. Mathew Kelly and Dave Hadfield Reported the events for the Independent on Sunday 5 December 1993

Howard Kendall last night resigned as manager of Everton, shortly after his side had beaten Southampton 1-0 in the FA Premiership at Goodison Park. Kendall, 47, attended the post-match press conference as normal and gave no indication of his decision to journalists.

Later, the Everton chairman Dr David Marsh confirmed the news. Marsh entered the press room with a grim- faced Kendall at his side and said: 'Everton and Howard Kendall jointly announce that his position as manager with the club has been terminated by him in accordance with the terms of his contract. That is all we are prepared to say at the moment.'

Kendall declined to comment but indicated that he would be making a statement today. Everton are currently 11th in the Premiership and lost in the fourth round of the Coca- Cola Cup in midweek, beaten 2-0 at home by Manchester United.

Kendall was quoted last night at 33-1 by William Hill to be appointed the next England manager. The former Everton playmaker Peter Reid, ironically now at Southampton, is a leading contender to take over at Goodison, followed by Steve Coppell and Joe Royle.

Kendall's time at Everton has had its ups and downs to say the least. When quitting Manchester City to return to Goodison Park in 1990, he said his spell at Maine Road had been a love affair; Everton was a marriage. Last night's divorce was only a matter of time as his side proved itself unable to reach the high standards demanded by fans.

Kendall, like his understudy Colin Harvey, is part of the fabric of the club. As a player he won the League Championship in 1970; during his first spell as manager - from 1981 to 1987 - he won the League twice (1985 and 1987), was runner-up in 1986, won the FA Cup in 1984, was beaten finalist in 1985 and 1986, and, to the ultimate delight of Evertonians jealous of their all-conquering rivals across Stanley Park, Kendall captured the European Cup- Winners' Cup in 1985. For these achievements he was given the Manager of the Year award in 1985 and 1987. On the back of this success, he left Everton in the hands of Harvey to take over at Spain's Athletic Bilbao. After two years abroad he came back to England, taking over at Manchester City.

Meanwhile, Harvey had been failing to impress as manager at Goodison. The fans were eager for Kendall to return and, in what many saw as a dream ticket, he came back with Colin Harvey demoted to deputy. But the glory days were never to return, and from early this season many thought Kendall's days were numbered.

Tony Cottee, scorer of the winning goal against Southampton yesterday, said Kendall told the players nothing of his plans to resign after the match, saying just: 'Well done, good win.' Cottee added that he heard the news on his car radio as he drove home and it had come as a total shock.

'I thought if he was going to quit he might have gone after the Manchester United match but he didn't. He stayed and he had seemed quite happy,' said the £2 million striker.

His last match as manager of Everton highlighted the club's recent plight even if it brought them only their second win in their last 10 Premiership games. A crowd of 13,667 was Everton's worst for a League match for almost 10 years. Kendall's failure to bring a top-class striker to his lightweight side had strained the fans' patience.

Everton welcomed Manchester United to Goodison Park for the much maligned screen sport super cup in 1985. This was supposed to be some sort of consolation competition to make up for the absence of European football thanks to the ban which had been imposed on all English clubs, during the previous summer.

A repeat of the FA Cup Final of just six or so months previous, would normally have had the fans excited, but the landscape of English football had been irrevocably altered and only circa 20,000 fans, turned up to watch Kendall’s reigning Champions and Atkinson’s FA Cup holders take to the field with both clubs putting out strong sides in this group game. The match was decided by an own goal five minutes from time scored by the unfortunate Frank Stapleton.

Everton: Southall; Harper (Pointon), Van Den Hauwe; Ratcliffe, Stevens, Heath; Steven, Lineker, Wilkinson, Bracewell, Richardson

Man Utd Turner; Gidman, Gibson Whiteside (M Dempsey), McGrath; Stapleton, Blackmore, Strachan, Hughes, Brazil, Olsen

Perhaps, the most noteworthy match that took place on the 4th December in which Everton was involved occurred in 1926, when the Toffees travelled to Villa Park.

The Liverpool Post and Mercury take up the story of the game:

One would imagine that three goals would win most matches but in these days of high scoring it is never safe to assume that a game is won until it is over. Everton at the half-way stage of their game with Aston Villa appeared to have the points in safe keeping, for through their superior football they had taken a two goal lead, but it now becomes a matter for speculation as to how many goals Everton require before they can rest on their oars knowing that victory will be theirs. Some teams can win a match with one goal. Not so Everton, and this undoubtedly points to a weakness in defence, for a forward line which can gather three goals fairly regularly cannot be blamed for not playing its part.

Against Leicester Everton held a three goal lead and then were beaten. Other occasions could be cited of Everton holding a lead and then failing to win, so it becomes a simple matter to put one finger on the weak spot in their armour.

During the first half Aston Villa were never in the same class as Everton, who played great football. There was no reason whatever why they should not have held on to their lead for the Villa's attack was not nearly so good as that of their opponents. Compared with the work of the Everton attack, the home forward line lacked balance, while at half back, Johnston was rarely effective against Troup, who did just what he liked and with Dominy Irvine, and Dean scoring the half-backs capable of holding the Villa forwards, the outlook appeared bright.

Then came a transformation. It became Everton's turn to act the part of defenders, and they were unable to hold off the Villa attack. The Villa's second goal was the turning point. O'Donnell should have taken Dorrell's centre instead of trying to throw Capewell offside by running forward. It was a tactical and an expensive error of judgement, for it proved unsuccessful, and Capewell was able to beat Hardy in a race for the ball and drive it into the net.

From that point everything that Villa did meant a goal, for the Everton defence went to pieces, and the Villa forwards realising that they had a chance of pulling the game out of the fire, slashed the ball into the middle, and left Capewell or Stephenson to do the rest. Everton's defence became inept. There was no covering between McDonald and O'Donnell.

Further goals by Capewell, Dorrell, and Stephenson were added. The Villa's second half display had been a revelation. Not that their football had risen to any great height, but simply that they had found Everton's defence uncertain and determined to play upon it. “Put the ball in front of goal” was the motto of every man, and in doing so they scored a great victory.

Hardy could not be blamed for the second goal. It was a ease of almost every time the Villa advanced a goal accrued, for the backs failed to stay their progress. A poor defence had beaten Everton. The Everton forward line was good in all but one point. Millington should have had a good day against Moss, but only once did he manage to get out of the veteran's toils. Brown, Hart, and Virr backed up their forwards well in the first half, but afterwards could not get their attack moving, because they were battling against a virile foe, who would not let them tackle, parting with the ball almost immediately it came to toe.
Teams : - Aston Villa: - Johnson, goal, Bowen, and Mort, backs, Johnston, Dr. Milne, and Moss, half-backs, York, Stephenson, Capewell, Walker, and Dorrell, forwards. Everton: - Hardy, goal, McDonald and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, Hart (captain), and Virr, half-backs, Millington, Irvine, Dean, Dominy, and Troup, forwards. Referee JJ. Fowler.

Share this article

About these ads

© ToffeeWeb