Funes Mori declares himself fit for recall

Tuesday, 6 March, 2018 0comments  |  Jump to last

Ramiro Funes Mori came through 90 minutes of action for the Under-23s last night and says he is 100% ready for Saturday if selected.

The Argentine played in the second string's 2-0 win over Swansea City at Goodison Park, his third appearance for the U23s since regaining fitness following two surgeries on his knee.

Funes Mori tore the meniscus in one of his knees playing for Argentina last year but is now ready for Everton's run-in and on course to be included in his country's World Cup squad.

“I've been training [well] these past weeks," he told evertonfc.com. "Even though I wasn't playing for the first team, I've been playing for the Under-23s to get the rhythm, get the tempo. I'm 100-per-cent fit to play and I'm ready for Saturday.”

Funes Mori, who also turned 27 yesterday, hasn't played a first-team game for Everton since coming on as a second-half substitute in the home win over Hull City almost a year ago.

He says it was great to be playing at Goodison again, however, and with Ashley Williams suspended and Phil Jagielka battling injury, his prospects of playing are good.

“It felt good to play back in Goodison, to feel the pitch, the stands. I really miss it so I'm very happy.”