Memory Lane — Match 33

Games against Leeds United, Norwich City, Luton Town and Burnley recalled from 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago, respectively.

Forty Years Ago — 1973-74: Match 33

Turf Moor was the destination for Billy Bingham’s Everton as they set about trying to improve their record away from Goodison Park. Burnley had returned to the top-flight the previous season as they had been relegated at the end of the 70/71 campaign. Burnley were a fine side and they had negotiated their way to the Semi-finals of the FA Cup where they would play Newcastle United at Hillsborough for a place at Wembley.

On the previous occasion that Everton had visited Turf Moor on 9 January 1971, they had earned a point by sharing four goals with the hosts. Although Frank Casper and Martin Dobson had scored for the Clarets, Henry Newton and David Johnson had netted for the Toffees in front of a crowd of 17,512.
Everton: Rankin; Wright, Newton H, Kendall, Labone; Harvey, Husband, Ball; Johnson, Hurst, Morrissey

Evertonia recalled a game at Turf Moor which had been played on11 January 1964 and reported that “Our first goal came just on the interval - a penalty by Alex Scott. This is the third very important goal Alex has scored in the past three games. After the break we went further ahead when Jimmy Gabriel was glad to find the Burnley net. John Morrissey it was who notched what transpired to be the winner - although both teams came very near to scoring before the finish. Keep up the winning form now, Everton!”
Everton:Rankin; Brown, Meagan; Gabriel, Labone, Harris B; Scott, Stevens, Temple, Hill, Morrissey

Everton had started their 62-63 campaign at Turf Moor as they gained a morale boosting win at Burnley (1-3), Roy Vernon, Billy Bingham and Alex Young scored for the Toffees whilst Ray Pointer scored the Clarets consolation goal.
Everton: West: Meagan, Thomson; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Stevens; Young, Vernon, Veall

Article continues below video content

In the return game at Goodison Park played on 15 December 1962 Everton and Burnley occupied the top two positions in the league with the Blues two points ahead of the Clarets and Evertonia reported that

“The game against Burnley was one of the finest games seen here last season. This was Everton's chance to pull away in the League Championship. The football in the early stages of the game was very good – strong attacking play coming from both sides. Everton went into the lead after 20 minutes when the defender headed the ball to Dennis Stevens who promptly banged it into the net. The cheers had scarcely died down when Roy Vernon went through and scored the second. Not long afterwards the Blues went three up with a goal similar to the first. A defender headed away from the goal and up jumped Alex Young to head it straight into the net. Everton remained on top for the remainder of the half, and the fans gave the teams an ovation as they left the pitch at the interval. The second half was not so good in comparison with the first but was quite entertaining none-the-less, Jimmy McIlroy scored for the visitors.
Everton: West; Parker, Meagan; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Stevens, Young, Vernon, Veall.

The Match: Bob Latchford (25’) was beginning to show why Billy Bingham had paid such a large transfer fee for the striker, when he struck his fourth goal in three games as he opened the scoring at Turf Moor to give the Blues the lead. Mick Bernard (33’) had the opportunity to give Everton a two-goal cushion but his penalty kick was saved by Alex Stevenson the Burnley keeper and Everton paid dearly for that miss when a calamitous collapse in the final quarter of the game meant that Everton left Turf Moor empty-handed. Colin Waldron (76’), Geoff Nulty (77’) and Leighton James (78’) all scored in a whirlwind three minute spell. [I must admit I don’t remember this particular capitulation and was surprised that we had conceded three goals in three minutes – but that’s what the records state – so it must be true mustn’t it?]

1973-74 — First Division; Saturday, 16 March 1974
Burnley @ Turf Moor, Score: 3-1 (Latchford), Attendance: 19,365.
Everton: Lawson; Darracott, Seargeant, Hurst, Kenyon; Clements, Bernard, Buckley; Latchford, Lyons, Connolly.


Thirty Years Ago — 1983-84: Match 33

Just a week prior to their FA Cup semi-final with Southampton at Highbury, Everton travelled to Luton Town hoping to gain three points but equally hoping that they could avoid injuries as Kevin Sheedy had already been ruled out for the rest of the season and Everton could ill afford losing any more of their key players for that most important match with the Saints. Also absent due to suspension was Everton Captain, Kevin Ratcliffe so Gary Stevens played Centre-back in his stead.

The Luton Town matchday magazine welcomed Everton FC and took the opportunity to thank Howard Kendall and his team for the “wonderful entertainment they provided in the Milk Cup Final and subsequent replay. Who said the game was dying?”

Luton Town’s Club Secretary John Wilkinson in John’s Journal gave a brief history of Everton’s achievements and former star players and he said that “People say you should never look back but I believe that a football club is built on its history and what better names to build on than some of the all- time great players that have worn the blue jersey.” Dixie Dean, Tommy Lawton and Ted Sagar were listed and honourable mentions made to Wally Fielding Joe Mercer, Billy Bingham - a former Luton Town player who appeared for the Hatters in a cup final - as well as the more recent stars such as Alan Ball, Jimmy Husband [another former Everton and Luton Town player] and Andy Gray.

In the latter stages of the previous campaign 82/83 Everton had beaten Luton Town (1-5) in Luton Town’s final home game of the season to deliver what seemed to be a knock-out blow to the Hatters dreams of top-flight survival but as many will remember Luton Town rallied and they secured their place in the First Division at the expense of Manchester City with a last day win at Maine Road when they defeated Manchester City (0-1).

Everton’s five goals in Luton’s final home game, had been scored by Graeme Sharp 2 (1 pen), Kevin Sheedy 2 and David Johnson with Ricky Hill scoring Luton Town’s consolation.
Everton: Southall; Stevens, Bailey, Ratcliffe, Higgins; Richardson, McMahon, Johnson; Sharp, Heath, Sheedy

The Match: Everton gained revenge for the home defeat inflicted by Luton Town earlier in the season by beating the Hatters (0-3) at Kenilworth Road. Adrian Heath scored twice one of the goals coming from the penalty spot and Derek Mountfield got the other, Luton Town’s Mal Donaghy was dismissed early in the second period and Everton just had one more league fixture to play before they faced Southampton at Highbury.

Howard Kendall explained that his decision to play Gary Stevens - in place of the suspended Kevin Ratcliffe - had worked out well and that he along with Alan Harper and the rest of the defence had as a unit maintained their solid form. Howard had also revealed that Terry Curran had been included with an eye on the forthcoming semi-final with Southampton; because if Terry was to be considered for that big match he would need some playing time to get match fit.

1983-84 — First Division; Saturday, 7 April 1984
Luton Town @ Kenilworth Road, Score: 0-3 (Heath 2, Mountfield), Att: 9,224
Everton: Southall; Stevens, Bailey, Harper, Mountfield; Reid, Curran, Heath; Sharp, Steven, Richardson.


Twenty Years Ago — 1993-94: Match 33

Mike Walker took his Everton side to the home of his former employers Norwich City. For the first time since he had taken over at Goodison, Walker’s Everton had left the confines of the North-West and the Sky cameras were in attendance to broadcast the match to its subscribers.

In one of the few League matches played by Everton – due to their involvement in both domestic cup competitions – in the early part of 1988, Colin Harvey’s Everton travelled to Dave Stringer’s Norwich City. Everton were in 5th place in the table while their hosts sat in 15th position. Graeme Sharp (21') delighted the travelling Blues as he opened the scoring midway through the first-half. There was no further scoring as Everton held on to their single goal advantage until two minutes from time when Graeme Sharp (88') made sure of the points and Adrian Heath added lustre to the scoreline as he made it three in the final minute. Everton moved up to third in the table while Norwich City fell down the table to eighteenth.
Everton: Southall; Stevens, Pointon, Van Den Hauwe, Watson; Reid (Harper), Steven, Heath; Sharp, Snodin, Wilson.

The final time that Norwich City and Everton had met at Carrow Road in the old First Division had occurred in March 1992 and the game had been a seven goal thriller. Darren Beckford (3') had given the Canaries an early lead when he scored after only three minutes but by half-time Everton had turned the game on its head as Mo Johnston (10') and Peter Beardsley (28') had both scored. Rob Newman (47') equalised early in the second half for Norwich City but Mo Johnson (50') put Everton back in front a few minutes later with his second strike of the game. But there was yet another twist in the game as two late goals from Darren Beckford in the 82nd and 85th minutes earned all the points for the Canaries as Darren Beckford celebrated his hat-trick. The Toffees despite scoring three goals away from home returned to Merseyside empty-handed and their fans wondered just how Everton had once again snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory.
Everton: Southall; Jackson, Ablett (Barlow), Ebbrell, Atteveld, Keown; Warzycha, Beardsley, Johnson, Harper, Ward

The Match: Any hopes that Everton would make it a happy return to Carrow Road for their manager Mike Walker disappeared when Chris Sutton (49’) added to Ian Culverhouse’s (40’) opening goal as the Canaries ran out comfortable winners when Mark Bowen (70’) concluded the scoring to hit Everton with a devastating defeat (3-0) as the spectre of relegation began to loom larger following this display.

1993-94 — Premier League; Monday, 21 March 1994
Norwich City @ Carrow Road, Score: 3-0, Attendance: 16,432
Everton: Southall; Jackson, Snodin, Watson, Hinchcliffe; Radosavljevic (Angell), Stuart, Ebbrell, Beagrie: Rideout, Cottee. Unused Sub: Kearton, Horne.

Ten Years Ago 2003-04 Match 33

Everton travelled to Elland Road having won a league match at the venue the previous year for the first time in some 50 years; Leeds United were hovering around the relegation places and would be hoping to add three points to their tally to help them escape the dreaded drop.

Elland Road had been one of the worst venues for Everton in the last half-century even with their finest sides they could not break the hoodoo at this ground but on 3 November 2002 Everton and their precocious young talent Wayne Rooney cast aside that unwanted record and as the BBC reported on their Website: -

Supersub Wayne Rooney came off the bench to give Everton their first league victory at Leeds in 51 years. The 17-year-old sensation struck another superb goal within seven minutes of taking the field, crowning a great run with a low right-foot shot from just inside the box. Leeds keeper Paul Robinson could do nothing to stop Rooney's 80th-minute effort but had earlier kept his team in the game with a string of fine saves.

But at the other end of the pitch, his team-mates carved out few chances and came no closer than a Jonathan Woodgate header cleared off the line. The workrate of all the players allowed Wayne a bit of space to get the winning goal

Everton made the brighter start and created the better chances in a low-key opening. Robinson had to tip over a Mark Pembridge free-kick as early as the second minute before making another three important saves before the break.

The Leeds keeper denied Tomasz Radzinski twice in three minutes just before the half-hour. And he then kept out Lee Carsley, touching the midfielder's shot around the post.

Leeds had moments of their own, though, but came no closer than two penalty appeals, the first coming from Alan Smith in the 28th minute. Referee Neale Barry waved his protests away and took an even dimmer view of Nick Barmby's appeal four minutes later. The ex-Evertonian was played in by Smith but went to ground as he pushed the ball past Robinson, earning himself a yellow card for diving.

Leeds made a far more dynamic start to the second half and created a rare chance inside two minutes of the restart. Barmby found space in the box but Richard Wright made a good save from the midfielder. However, Everton quickly regained the initiative and Robinson again denied Radzinski with two more excellent saves just after the hour.

Tony Hibbert then cleared a Woodgate header off the line before Rooney made his match-winning entrance. As he did against Arsenal last month, the youngster created an individual goal out of nothing, this time to condemn Leeds to a sixth successive game without a win.

Everton:Wright, Hibbert, Stubbs, Yobo, Unsworth, Carsley, Linderoth, Tie Li (Naysmith 82), Pembridge, Campbell, Radzinski (Rooney 75).
Subs Not Used: Gerrard, Watson, Weir.

Prior to that Rooney-inspired victory, Everton’s last taste of success in a top-flight encounter on that ground had come in the 38-39 Championship campaign when goals by Nat Cunliffe and Stan Bentham had earned Everton a 2-1 victory at what was to become a terrible venue for the Blues.

The Match: Two youngsters scored the goals in this encounter at Elland Road as Wayne Rooney (13’) scored the opener to give Everton a half-time lead, but early in the second period James Milner (50’) equalised for Leeds and the sides had to be satisfied with a point a piece from the match. The BBC website reported:–

Wayne Rooney marked his return after suspension by giving Everton a 12th minute lead with a sweet 20-yard drive. Tomasz Radzinski hit the woodwork seconds later, but Leeds were then kept at bay by a succession of stunning saves from former keeper Nigel Martyn. Relegation-threatened Leeds deservedly equalised in fine style from James Milner after 50 minutes with a clever finish, but could not fashion a winner.

Everton restored Rooney in attack alongside Radzinski - and the England teenager had a swift impact. Radzinski should have put Everton ahead after seven minutes when he raced clear on to Tobias Linderoth's pass, but his shot was turned aside by Paul Robinson.

But Everton were ahead five minutes later thanks to a trademark strike from Rooney. Leeds failed to clear a corner, and when Steve Watson found Rooney, he drilled home a fine 20-yard finish. And Everton were denied a second goal by an upright in their next attack when Radzinski beat Robinson and hit the woodwork, with Michael Duberry making a fine block to stop Rooney converting the rebound.

It was the turning point in the first half, with Leeds finally finding their feet and laying siege to Everton's goal. And it was former Elland Road hero Martyn who kept his old club at bay. He made a brilliant one-handed save from Milner's curling shot after he spotted the goalkeeper out of position. And Martyn repeated his heroics eight minutes before the interval when he turned over Smith's shot from 20 yards as it seemed destined for the top corner.

Martyn was at it again four minutes into the second half to halt Viduka, but Leeds were rampant and deservedly equalised after 50 minutes. Viduka was the creator, laying the ball into Milner's path for the youngster to stroke a left-foot finish inside Martyn's post.

And Milner should have put Leeds ahead seconds later as he was blocked just yards from goal. Martyn was having a magnificent night, and Smith was left cursing again when he made another fine save after 70 minutes. Everton's best effort came from a 35-yard shot from substitute Alex Nyarko that was only narrowly off target.

2003-04 — Premier League; Tuesday, 13 April, 2004
Leeds United @ Elland Road 1-1 (Rooney) Att: 39,835
Everton: Martyn; Pistone, Yobo, Unsworth, Naysmith; Watson (McFadden), Gravesen (Carsley), Linderoth (Nyarko), Kilbane; Rooney, Radzinski.
Unused Subs: Wright, Hibbert.

Share article:

Reader Comments (4)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Tamhas Woods
1 Posted 11/04/2014 at 20:31:21
I remember that Leeds match like it was yesterday. I was in Portmeirion with the family, and all day I was preoccupied with the result because, if Leeds won, we were right back in it.

Listening to the updates in the car on the way back was nerve wracking and I shudder to think what would have happened if Leeds had actually won, as we only took one point from the next 15 available if I remember rightly – with a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge.

God, what an awful season that was!

Phil Sammon
2 Posted 11/04/2014 at 21:39:27
What did you make of Portmeirion Tamhas? It's about Ł15 per person just to get in there these days. I spent 20 minutes in there and decided I'd seen enough. Quaint though.

Review: 'Good day out for the elderly'

Karl Masters
3 Posted 11/04/2014 at 23:54:22
I remember that Leeds match too. We were battered from about 25 minutes until 90 and somehow hung on for a draw. Rooney's last goal in an Everton shirt too.
Tamhas Woods
4 Posted 15/04/2014 at 14:17:59
Phil 429

You're right about it being more for an elderly crowd. As a 15 year old I must admit I found it rather boring.

I was not a "white cider" teenager by any stretch, but I'd much rather have been shooting zombies at the arcade or playing five a side than walking round a mock Italian village, but I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it a damn sight more without the spectre of relegation at the forefront of my mind.

Haven't been since so I hope they've made it a tad more interesting over the past 10 years, maybe some impromtu duelling between Tybalt and Romeo in the gift shop every half hour? That would be a start.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

, placement: 'Below Article Thumbnails', target_type: 'mix' });